ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 AM

Default Starting Big

I have never tasted scotch, but I have heard that if you have a great scotch it will taste like candy. My sister-in-law bought me a crystal decanter with 4 glasses, and while I have used the glasses, Im waiting for the right scotch to go in the decanter. I am looking for some advice on fantastic scotch. I am willing to save money to buy it, as long as it isn't over $1000. Any advice would be great.

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 AM

Try a few. Every ones tastes are different. Look into attending a tasting if you can. Or try Masters of Malt as they have a huge sampler section. I originally went off of tasting notes that I found interesting then expanded into more and more flavor profiles. Some like peaty, smokier whisky while others prefer lighter sweeter whiskies. Try a few and see where your taste buds take you.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Here are some threads for whisky suggestions. Have fun. http://www.whisky.com/forum/tags.php...ky+suggestions
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 AM

I'm not against buying one of each. I enjoy smoke and sweet flavors. This is a part of my life where I am trying be classy. I even plan on building a whiskey hutch. I enjoy a good cigar and I enjoy good liquor. Honestly, I haven't even had Johnny Walker. It is a goal of mine to get a bottle of blue label (I hear it is amazing scotch). So whatever you may suggest I will try.

I watch all sorts of political shows and it seems they always share scotch, and as I get older and start my own business, I want to have the type of moments during a business talk where I can flaunt my knowledge of scotch, because to me, if you know good whiskey, you obviously know business.

Last edited by Joshw1121; 11-26-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM

I've only had Johnny Walker red and blue. Hated the red loved the blue. I personally am a fan of the Glendronach and Dalmore lines. Aberlour and Dalwhinnie are also up there for me. Right know I'm really digging the Bunnahabhain 18 and 25. Tried a few of the Wemyss malts line and some were good, others only so so.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 AM

I don't think knowing about whisky has anything to do with knowing about business.
I decided to buy a selection instead of one bottle. I started in September and try to buy a few bottles every time I come home. ( work a 14 and 7 work schedule).

Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speyslider View Post
I've only had Johnny Walker red and blue. Hated the red loved the blue. I personally am a fan of the Glendronach and Dalmore lines. Aberlour and Dalwhinnie are also up there for me. Right know I'm really digging the Bunnahabhain 18 and 25. Tried a few of the Wemyss malts line and some were good, others only so so.
I have an indépendant Bunnahabhain 23 single cask that has a VERY strong green apple taste to it. Does the 25 also have that? I figure that since it is a single cask, the actual distillery blend will be quite different.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:44 PM

I don't recall much apple flavor. More of a stewed fruit with spices. Are you talking about the Berry Bros. bottling by chance. That's another one I've seen that's caught my eye. Been a little unsure do to the secondary location but recently tried a Linkwood from Gordon & MacPhail that was really good.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 AM

No, it is an A.D. Rattray bottling.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 AM

Nice. Where did you pick that up from and how much was it. Is it something worth getting.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 AM

I picked it up in San Antonio at a chain calls Specs. It was $150. It is good, almost an apple cider taste to it.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 AM

That sounds like one I would really enjoy. I'll start looking locally. Did your local store have more than one?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM

I think they had one more.
It is from cask 971. They made 238 bottles.
Since it is a single cask bottling, any other cask is going to taste different.

Tags
decanter, whisky suggestions