ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Whisky Blends

Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Larry

Question The Dancing Scot Music Decanter

I was wondering who I might contact concerning a box and bottle of Scotch Whisky. This item has never been opened, bottle sealed etc. I am interested in when it was sold. The box is Scotch Plaid in design and has the name "The Dancing Scot" music decanter. The music device works perfectly with the little scott dancing in the bubble at the bottom of the bottle. What is also interesting is the song that is played is "When Irish eyes are smiling". Any information you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:03 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Lightbulb Gilbey's Spey Royal Dancing Scot decanter

Hi Larry -

Sounds like you're describing Gilbey's Spey Royal Dancing Scot decanter. Diageo's archives tells us that unfortunately they do not have much information on this decanter (although they do have a copy of one in their Gilbey's collection). What they can tell us is that it was part of a series of decanters produced by Beams, the US distributor of Gilbey's Spey Royal Scotch Whisky during the late 1950s and 1960s. Other decanters produced included the boxing elephant and mule, The World Fair, Marina City and the Green Genie.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Unregistered

Default Value

Hi Jojo,

Do you know how much that bottle of Gilbey's Spey Royal MUSIC BOTTLE would be worth with it being unopened? I have the same bottle but without the box. Thank you for your help. Shawn
Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi Jojo,

Do you know how much that bottle of Gilbey's Spey Royal MUSIC BOTTLE would be worth with it being unopened? I have the same bottle but without the box. Thank you for your help. Shawn
Shawn - sorry for the delay in responding to you (someone how slipped under my radar!) Not sure of the value of what you have, but try contacting mctears.com or bonhams.com - be ready to send them very clear photos of your Dancing Scot! Let us know your findings.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Unregistered

Default Spey Royal "Dancing Scot" Decanter

I have the same decanter with the dancing Scot in the bottom in the glass bubble. I do not have the box but I can tell you that mine is at least 40 years old. My family first got it in about 1970-71. The label says the scotch whiskey is 100 months old. The interesting thing about this is that my bottle plays "Annie Laurie". Larry''s (prior commenter) bottle plays another song and I found another bottle online (empty but in good shape) that plays a third tune. Apparently all the music boxes play different songs. I've not been able to find what it is worth yet, but am working on it. My bottle has never been opened, however, the seal was broken, over the 40 years we've had it. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 PM
steveyoung4190@gmail.com

Question

i have the decanter only, anyone know the value?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

Default i have one also

i have the tall bottle with the dancing scothman in the bottom . music box works and dancer dances i want to sell slotmike@verizon.net
Old 06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
i have the tall bottle with the dancing scothman in the bottom . music box works and dancer dances i want to sell slotmike@verizon.net
I have one too...I would like to sell.....Any offers?????
Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Default Larry's Spey's whisky dancing decanter

Hi Larry,

I have been looking for that same bottle for YEARS! Would you be interested in selling your Speys bottle? If so PLEASE contact me at ssfreezess@aol.com. Have GREAT DAY
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I was wondering who I might contact concerning a box and bottle of Scotch Whisky. This item has never been opened, bottle sealed etc. I am interested in when it was sold. The box is Scotch Plaid in design and has the name "The Dancing Scot" music decanter. The music device works perfectly with the little scott dancing in the bubble at the bottom of the bottle. What is also interesting is the song that is played is "When Irish eyes are smiling". Any information you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Default mike

I have one, fully operational, box in excellent condition, seal on bottle intact, but i can't remember the name of the tune it plays. Its not When Irish Eyes are Smiling or Annie Laurie.
If interested contact me at msw1405@msn.com and I can send some pictures. I'd contemplate selling it. I will also find out the name of the tune.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Unregistered Tim

Post 100 Month, 86 proof, Spey Royal Dancing Scot music box bottle unopened

In my collection I have an unopened bottle with Dancing Scot, to tune "Annie Laurie". This has both Federal IRS tax seal and State of Wisconsin tax seal in place and is unopened. Music box works. Bottle never opened. Provenance links to Curly Lambeau, coach of early Green Bay Packers and bottle was featured in WBAY-TV news in 1970's. Interview done with Curly Lambeau's brother. Copy of news feature is in Neville Public Museum in Green Bay. Wondering about value to Packer Fans?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 AM
Barb

Default Dancing Scot

My unopened bottle plays Lock Lomond which is printed on the bottom on a tiny piece of paper. I would have spelled that differently?? Has anyone come up with a value?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Holly

Default I also have a bottle

My aunt just passed and I have located a bottle also of the Dancing Scotchman. My bottle is unopened and in perfect condition.. Has anyone come up with a sale price? or value of this piece? Thanks for helping.. Holly2133@aol.com
Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Unregistered

Default Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Larry, did you end up selling yours? What price did you get. I also have this same bottle.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 PM

Default Dancing Scot Music Decanter

I also have a bottle, Limited Gilbey's Spey Royal Scotch Whiskey, labled 12 years old, full 4/5 Quart, 86 proof. Still sealed with the dancer in the bottom bottle bubble.
It plays Lock Lomond A-1.
Would love to know more information on this bottle.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

I also have the .dancing Scot Music Decanter I bought it in 1970 or 1971 I have the box it
came in.I never opened it,bit some how the seal was cracked and some scot has
evaported. The little ring on the bottom to wind the music box is missing.But you can still turn it so the music still plays and the dancer still turns.Has been in storage for 11years.
I would sell if anyone is interested'
Elbirda
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Gilbey's Spey Royal Scotch Whiskey bottle

Looks like I am not the only one with one of these unique unopened bottles. The seal has not been broken. The Scottish dancing music man still plays.
I am looking for a buyer, as well.
Has anyone gotten a value of what it is worth?
Please contact me if interested
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Chris

Default Dancing Scot

Hello all, I've got an empty bottle in the box-plays Coming Through the Rye. The label and the box are less than perfect but it'd be great to sell it/let someone else enjoy it! If you want a pic, let me know!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

Default looking for decanter also

Quote:
I have the same decanter with the dancing Scot in the bottom in the glass bubble. I do not have the box but I can tell you that mine is at least 40 years old. My family first got it in about 1970-71. The label says the scotch whiskey is 100 months old. The interesting thing about this is that my bottle plays "Annie Laurie". Larry''s (prior commenter) bottle plays another song and I found another bottle online (empty but in good shape) that plays a third tune. Apparently all the music boxes play different songs. I've not been able to find what it is worth yet, but am working on it. My bottle has never been opened, however, the seal was broken, over the 40 years we've had it. Good luck.
where did u find the decanter online as i am looking for one like my great grandmother was given by my father
gratefully cathy
Old 03-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

Default hi im very new to this but very interested

I have an un opened supposedly vry rare scotch.The bottle is spey royal scotch wiskey and it has a scottish dancing man and music box. I have had this bottle for many years it has beeen tempting me on that shelf so long. I am about to have my first child and would like to know its worth and maybe sell it to someone who will apprecieate it much more than me.. so if anyone out there has any info or any interest please e mail me @ rachelhallman@hotmail.com
thank u
David hallman also u can call (843)518-0973
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
I have an un opened supposedly vry rare scotch.The bottle is spey royal scotch wiskey and it has a scottish dancing man and music box. I have had this bottle for many years it has beeen tempting me on that shelf so long. I am about to have my first child and would like to know its worth and maybe sell it to someone who will apprecieate it much more than me.. so if anyone out there has any info or any interest please e mail me @ rachelhallman@hotmail.com
thank u
David hallman also u can call (843)518-0973
David, while we do not offer valuations at this time, we may be able to date what you have - but we need photos.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Unregistered

Default White horse

i have a botle of whisky white horse can any tell my how old is it. the number that have the botlle is ef3996780 and on top have a litlle plastic horse like toy estab 1742 and with red letters write for ships use only ty
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 AM

Hello all, I am new to the site and forums. I have checked a few different sites and this one seems very good with some great people.

I came across this thread and just came across a bottle of Scotch that was my grandfather's. My grandmother gave it to me. It is the Dancing Scot Music Decanter labeled Gilbey's Spey Royal aged 100 months. It plays the Loch Lomond and still has the unbroken seal. I have some pics to post of it. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, say hi and join the forums. Here are the pics.

Sorry for such large pics!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
ClubWhisky.com Expert

Default White horse

Quote:
i have a botle of whisky white horse can any tell my how old is it. the number that have the botlle is ef3996780 and on top have a litlle plastic horse like toy estab 1742 and with red letters write for ships use only ty
Sounds like you might have a "Navy Stores" bottle of White Horse whisky...
I've seen a few of these, and most turn out to be late-1950's to early 1960.

***The bottle numbers on White Horse were often re-used, so there is an EF
3996780 for King George V, King George VI & Queen Elizabeth...By itself, it's
not much help!

If you could get me some clear photos, I could help you date this bottle:
Would need to see the Cap-area, Main-Label, and a photo of the whole bottle
standing upright!

Cheers,
Walter C Hurst
wchurst@hotmail.com
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM

I was also wondering if anyone would be interested in the "Dancing Scot" music decanter that plays "Loch Lomond" ? The dancing Scot still dances and plays the music. I'm not much of a Scotch person so I thought I might let go of it and pick something else up. Thanks. Jeff

Tags
dancing scot, decanter, diageo, gilbey, music decanter