ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Unregistered

Smile Scotch Whiskey Master Blenders Pack

Hello, I was hoping someone here might be able to give me an idea about a vintage pack of Scotch Whiskey? Its called the master Blenders Pack consisting of 5 different blends of Scotch Whiskey from Scottish distilleries. The Labels are, GLENFARCLAS, INVERGORDAN, TOMATIN, BRUICHLADIDICH AND MACDUFF. The pack also contains a small bottle of distilled water from a Scottish Loch.

It is my Dad's and it was given to him in the late 60's to early seventies by his boss as a Christmas gift, Just wondering if anyone knows if these are common or rare, $ value or should he just open them and enjoy.

They are all in an unopened condition and have been stored in their box out of direct sunlight for the last 40 odd years. I have a picture of them if anyone would like me to email it to them, just can't upload pics on this forum. Thanks in advance, Ryan.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

Apologies for my incorrect spelling of WHISKY!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM

This pack was put together by a company called Haffenden in the 1970's. Trouble was that it didn't sell very well and the company eventually disappeared. I believe they're now quite rare but I doubt if there would be a great demand for it. Would be good to try them against the current offerings form these distilleries, I'd throw the water away though.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Unregistered

Thanks very much Blenderm, I'll tell him to it's ok to enjoy them now, it's funny how people hold on to things so long that they eventually get too scared to use them. Cheers
Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM

No trouble, that's what the sites for, I hope he enjoys them. If he reads the instructions the pack was originally sold so that you could become a blender at home and mix up your own blend
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Invergordon is a Grain Distillery and Tomatin at that time was a key Malt used in many blends. (It is still used in blends but now being bottled more as Tomatin Malt).

I would say try mixing them and make your own interesting blends.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Master Blender Pack

Photo of the Master Blender Pack...

Click image for larger version

Name:	master_blender_pack.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	835
Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 AM

The photo brings back memories Jojo
Old 05-22-2019, 07:59 AM

Smile Haffendens Master Blender Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenderm View Post
This pack was put together by a company called Haffenden in the 1970's. Trouble was that it didn't sell very well and the company eventually disappeared. I believe they're now quite rare but I doubt if there would be a great demand for it. Would be good to try them against the current offerings form these distilleries, I'd throw the water away though.
The Master Blender pack was a very successful marketing excercise, but expensive to assemble on increasingly automated bottling lines. We made the last packs in the late 70's.

One sold at auction for GBP 35 last year, if I had known I would have been interested!

Strangely enough I met my former (U.S.) business partner this week after 31 years. The Blender Pack and Whisky (Scottish) was discussed.

Ray Haffenden

Tags
master blenders pack