ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > Whisky Bottle Date & Other Information Requests

Whisky Bottle Date & Other Information Requests If you would like to see if your bottle can be dated, please post in this category along with images. At this time, ClubWhisky.com is NOT dating bottles, however, our members may be able to help out! Note that ClubWhisky.com does NOT offer valuations either, but at times we do have experts who chime in and offer an idea of worth.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:33 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Default White Horse

I have an old bottle of White Horse. Atleast 40 years old maybe a lot more . 4/5 quart blended and bottled by white horse distillers ltd glasgow scotland. exporter white horse distillers glasgow sole importer for usa browne vintners co nyc. back label has no TA 2245079. Can someone help me out as to

1. Age
2. Estimated value

Thank you very much
Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 PM

Please post some images of the bottle standing straight up showing labels, fill level, seal, tax strips etc... and we can value it for you
Old 11-26-2018, 08:44 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Default I think i figured out pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6760.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2609

Name:	IMG_6761.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	2610

Name:	IMG_6762.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2611
Old 11-27-2018, 07:36 AM

Condition: a nice flask shape bottle with spring cap; the condition and fill level are average to good I would say (assuming its at the base of the neck?)
Value: Approx. $200-225 in this condition
Old 11-27-2018, 01:45 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Thank you. How do I go about finding a buyer?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:51 PM
ClubWhisky.com Expert

Default White Horse

esqsimon,

I think fransodk has hit this one right on the head for both dating & value, as this is what I see in the current trend from auction houses selling similar bottles of late.

As someone who has collected White Horse and other blended scotches, I can tell you that there are not a lot of people collecting blended whiskies these days, but there are a few of us still around...The trend for collectors however tends to be much more driven towards Single Malts than towards Blends.

This is still a fine bottle that would be of some interest to a collector of Blended Scotch, and the valuation is fair in my opinion.

As for selling such a bottle, there are 2 basic options for you to explore:
Either ship it to an auction house that specializes in distilled spirits, or find a blended scotch whisky collector and deal directly with them.

There are ups and downs to both prospects however:

1) The auction houses have a decent base of collectors that frequent their auctions, and that can solve the "finding a buyer" issue for you...However the "fees/commissions" charged by the auction houses often run in the 20-30% range, on top of your shipping costs to send the bottle to them.
*Note that it may take some time to both sell your bottle & receive payment from the auction house; They will need time to study, photograph & list the item in their next sale (often 1-3 months later), and most auction houses will pay out proceeds form the sale in 3-4 weeks time after the sale has completed.

2) If you have access to a collector for such bottles, often you will be able to get the auction house value directly from the buyer (without having to pay the commissions/fees) and this route tends to result in a faster transaction time.

Cheers,
Walter C Hurst
Old 12-04-2018, 12:39 AM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Default Collectors

Would greatly appreciate if someone could pass along contact info for someone who collects blended scotch of this type. Thank you.

Tags
white horse, white horse cellars