ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Whisky Blends

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM

Default Dunbar's Special Rare Old Highland Whisky

That unopened 40 oz. bottle with a seal cork has been blended and bottled by John Dunbar Distillers Co. Ltd. in Montreal, Canada. The bottle was bought at a "Quebec Liquor Board" at a price of 8.00 $. There's nothing on the label about the age and the alc./vol. Could you help me with a date and value of that bottle.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Please do post photos and we will see if we can help.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Click image for larger version

Name:	dunbar.jpg
Views:	1511
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	974

We will see if we can have this bottle dated.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM

This label is similar to the Dunbar's that was part of Seagram's many years ago
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Thanks for reply Michael,
If you think it is similar, do you know, approx.,what year the label Seagram replace the Dunbar label ?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

I thought this might be a part of the Diageo family, but they tell us it’s not a former Seagram brand (which they acquired).
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Hi Jojo, if Diageo didn't get this brand then it's possibly still with Chivas as I know that Chivas bottled the brand in Scotland back in the 70's and 80's. It's very possible that they leased the brand to the Quebec Liquor Board to allow them to bottle it in Canada from whisky shipped by Chivas.
This happened with a number of companies and Liquor Boards in the 70's and 80's but seemed to stop in the late 80's. I know that the likes of the LCBO were buying new blend [i.e. new malt and grain, blended and then matured in Scotland] then shipped and bottled under their own brands.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Thanks blenderm - great info. I'll start with Chivas to see if they can help. Hope you are enjoying the holiday season!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

We found out from an Chivas archivist that while they do not have much info on this one - they think the company went out of business in 1989. They also believe it was an Allied Brand - even though it says Montreal on the label because John Dunbar Distillers were part of United Distilleries at the time. blenderm - does that make sense to you?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM

I would agree with the 1989 date but it was never owned by Hiram Walker or Allied. In the early 80's I traced the company to Seagrams [who owned Chivas at that time] and when I asked this was confirmed by some one working there.
It's very possible that with all the take overs and changes these decondary companies and brands were lost. Bacvk in those days very few, if any, whisky company was interested in archiving their brands and data.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Any more inputs on that bottle, I have the same, unopened, but the seal is not a cork or screwcap, it appeass to be some sort of metallic pull cap (a little like a beer) ? I intend to open it and post a review on my blog, but I definitely need some more infos...
Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM

Dunbar was never owned by Diageo or Allied Domecq. When Seagrams split up it came under the ownership of Pernod Ricard.

Tags
dunbar, john dunbar, old highland