ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Default How are there so many pvw bourbon for sale if so hard to find?

just wondering if pappy van winkle is really that hard to find because i see so many of them for sale and floating around. I heard there are a certain amount of bottles alloted each year and i do not think they sell internationally also is the whiskey that good? I would like to know.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 AM

It is hard to find at retail price. Those last three words are key.
Yes, you see many for sale and floating around but those are at inflated prices, typically 3 to 4 times retail and sometimes a lot more. They are either for sale by retailers who mark them up considerably, or, by people who go to the stores who sell at retail price when they are first released and buy out the store of their entire stock so they can re-sell at a profit.
Is it that good? Depends on who you ask. For those who prefer wheated bourbons, yes it can be that good. Nobody else is making wheated bourbons of that age which is why they are so desirable.
If you are not partial to wheaters than it's probably not worth the effort.