ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-03-2018, 07:14 AM

Default Opened A Balvenie Single Barrel 12

This whisky is surprisingly silky for 47.8% abv. The flavor is soft and delicate with noticeable bourbon and aged oak, but also nougat, dried pale fruit, and a touch of licorice. Ample sweetness.
A very nice sipper.
Night #2, I'm liking this less now. Too much bourbon and not enough flavor. I'm getting wet potato chips nosing the empty glass. Maybe it was the sauerkraut and bratwurst for dinner?

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 01-04-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:21 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

So should I be looking to buy a bottle of giving it a pass? We wait to hear more...
Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Night #2, I'm liking this less now. Too much bourbon and not enough flavor. I'm getting wet potato chips nosing the empty glass. Maybe it was the sauerkraut and bratwurst for dinner?
My experience is that certain foods can have a negative impact on taste. No doubt you'll give it (the whisky) another try, or two. I'm with Islay Peat; let us know what you think. Your first taste description sounded interesting!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
So should I be looking to buy a bottle of giving it a pass? We wait to hear more...
It's definitely a quality whisky but I don't think I'll be looking to buy another after having a few more drams over the past +week. Gotta have my peat flavor even if just a touch.
It's just a bit pricier than the Springbank 10 which I like better.

Ut oh... now I'm getting tempted to add a couple drops of Ardbeg 10 to it.

(a bit later) just 3 drops of Ardbeg 10 to about 2 tablespoons of the B.S.B.12 (first fill bourbon barrel) knocked it completely out of kilter. The subtle flavors of the B.S.B.12 are gone, almost like the Ardie neutralized it. Not a good move, still definitely drinkable though.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 01-10-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:31 AM

Default I'm new

Not sure how to start a post so I'm trying to jump in and learn. Anyone want to help?
Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 AM

Go to Single Malt Scotch Whisky and click new thread.

Tags
balvenie, balvenie 12