Single Malt Scotch Whisky
McAndies, the director of the Glenlochy Fort William Distillery
Company, founded the Glenlochy distillery in 1898 on the west
coast of Scotland. McAndies wanted to take advantage of the
whisky boom, yet he was too late and opened during the Pattison
crash. Production started in 1901, but in 1919, the distillery
fell silent. It remained silent until 1937, although there
was a very short period of production during 1925.
North Road, Fort William, Highland
PH33 6TQ, Scotland
Viewer's Comments about Glenlochy
Glenlochy went through periods of openings and closings through
its lifetime and changed hands of ownership several times.
In 1937, Thomas Rankin purchased the distillery and within
the same year, he sold it to Train & McIntyre Ltd. In
1953, Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL - later known as Diageo)
acquired Train & McIntyre, Ltd. and the distillery was
operated by Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD). In 1983, Glenlochy
was closed due to the rationalisation programme.
The River Nevis
Glenlochy was sold to the hotel group, West Coast Inns,
Ltd. Permission was granted to demolish all of the distillery
except for the kiln and pagoda roof since they have been
declared historic. Today a luxury guest house by the name
of Distillery House is situated upon the grounds of Glenlochy.
Diageo released some Glenlochy official bottlings in their
Rare Malts series. Douglas Laing, Gordon McPhails, Duncan
Taylor, Cadenhead's and Signatory have bottled a few versions
of Glenlochy. Almost all of Glenlochy's output went into