ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 10-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Gandolf

Default Glenmorangie

I recently bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Port Wood Scotch. I found that this product has been discontinued and replaced with a Glenmoranie product called The Quinta Ruban which is also aged in port wood although it is not the exact same product (the old version has 43% alc and the new one is 46% alc.). Does anyone know why they discontinued the old version? How is it different? Which one is better? Does anyone have any experience with these Scotches? The Port Wood Scotch is the best single malt scotch I've ever tasted. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 AM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Gandolf - I must admit - the Quinta Ruban is superb! Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to try the Glenmorangie Port Wood, but I'm sure it was stellar as I have heard people say they prefer it over the Quinta Ruban.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Glenmorangie Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Gandolf...Here is some additional information we recieved from one of our contacts at Glenmorangie. We hope you find it helpful.

"There are a couple distinctions between the Quinta Ruban and the Port Wood finish. The Quinta Ruban is non-chill filtered, which brings much more depth the spirit that chilled filtration. This also brings about the increase ABV. Also, Quinta Ruban is aged in higher quality artisinal port casks than the port casks used for Port Wood Finish. Finally, the 2nd maturation (in the port cask) is longer that the Port Wood finish (Quinta Ruban spends more than 2 full years in the Port Cask). This adds richer chocolatey-minty notes to the Quinta Ruban. Essentially Dr. Bill, our Master Distiller and considered an authority in Scotch Wood Aging, took a great scotch and figured out a way to tweak the recipe to make it better."

"A side-by-side tasting of the Port Wood finish next to Quinta Ruban was conducted long before it was launched in the US, and the Quinta was exceptional in a side-by-side comparison. I recommend trying them side by side to compare and it will be obvious in most cases that the Port Wood doesn't compare to the Quinta Ruban, though taste is relative to the individual."
Old 11-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Unregistered

There has been much debate amongst whisky enthusiasts concerning the relative merits of the older Port Wood editions and the newer Quinta Ruban release. Therefore, I'd strongly advise, if at all possible, personal and direct comparative evaluation of the two.

Some aspects are evident right off the bat, though. The Quinta Ruban, as already pointed out, has dispensed with the chill-filtering that 'plagued' the previous Port Wood. And its bottling strength is 3%ABV higher (46% versus 43%). These factors, one would think, couldn't help but lead to an improved product. On a slightly negative note, the retail cost of the newer version has increased, vis-a-vis that of the older, in most markets.

For me, taste-wise, the differences appear even more dramatic. The older Port Wood seemed to display an effortless drinking quality born of a silky texture and decidedly winey sweetness, particularly on the finish - I've been reminded of Turkish delight. It also possessed, particularly in its earliest incarnations, an overall smoothness that clearly pointed to the incorporation of some whiskies aged well beyond the minimum stated age (at least 12 years in ex-Bourbon wood followed by fa urther 'finishing' in Port casks). In contrast, the Quinta Ruban comes across in a more robust, assertive fashion. And the sweetness is further counterpointed by additional spicy notes derived from those 'higher quality' Port casks now being utilized. For those who loved the older edition, the newer one might - at first acquaintance - seem to be a 'rougher ride' on the palate. It certainly has spirit! Personally, I have to wonder if the average maturity of the whiskies now blended into the product may have diminished a little. Who knows?

Do the innate characteristics of the Glenmorangie distillate (especially those lovely spicy overtones) percolate through more clearly in the newer Quinta Ruban? Probably. Is it a more challenging whisky? I'd have to say, "Yes." Do I still miss the older Port Wood edition? Definitely.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Unregistered

Default anyone knows the age of the quinta ruban?

is it 10 years? 12 years?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Whisky.com Expert

Non Age Statement
Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Whisky.com Expert

Default Quinta Ruban

No age statement...but is a 12-Year-Old finished in port pipes.

Tags
glenmorangie, port cask, port wood, quinta ruban