ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 01-18-2014, 07:44 PM

Post Prohibition Era Whiskey Question

I'm fascinated with medicinal whiskey from the prohibition era. I especially enjoyed the epic post about the Old Dusty OFC as it seems to create more questions than it answers. Fun stuff.

It is easy to say anything sold between January 1920 and December 5th, 1933 is prohibition era whiskey, but it's not that simple.

Based on my own research, which I can back up, I have come to the conclusion the following are true:
  1. Whiskey distilled and bottled before prohibition was sold during prohibition as medicinal whiskey as "new old stock".
  2. Whiskey distilled before prohibition and bottled during prohibition was sold during prohibition. This is a common truth based on tax strips from the era.
  3. Whiskey distilled before prohibition and bottled during prohibition was sold after Repeal as there were stockpiles left over.
  4. Whiskey distilled before prohibition and bottled after prohibition was sold after Repeal.

So, my newbie question is, was any American whiskey actually distilled during prohibition under special permission? Or, were the distilleries only bottling over-aged pre-pro whiskey during prohibition?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Glad you enjoyed my post. The bottle defiantly has a story to tell.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 PM

If that OFC ever needed a new home I have a place in my display cabinet it would just love.

I just bought a 1/10th pint Antique Whiskey unopened whiskey bottle on ebay. Unfortunately, the contents have completely evaporated. Since the glass is brown, I can live with it. The point I'm trying to make with this is the tax stamp on it says distilled 1930 and bottled 1936 so this proves that there were distilleries doing more than just bottling pre-pro whiskey during prohibition. This is probably common knowledge to most of the people on this board but I'm having fun uncovering the history.

Scott
Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Haha yeah I've had a few offers on it that were hard to turn down. It's such a great piece of history of something that I love that it's hard to let it go. Doubt I ever will unless someone offers a very large amount for it. Congrats on the ebay find. Sucks all the whiskey wasnt there for you though.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Bender View Post
So, my newbie question is, was any American whiskey actually distilled during prohibition under special permission? Or, were the distilleries only bottling over-aged pre-pro whiskey during prohibition?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Interesting thread. I read somewhere (Buffalo Trace website or was it the back of a BT whiskey bottle?) that George T Stagg were one of only four American distilleries given a license to distill during the period. I assume the G T Stagg distillery was the modern day Buffalo Trace Distillery? I have no idea who the other three were.

Laphroaig often mention the fact their whisky was available as medicinal whisky during prohibition (it certainly tastes medicinal ). I'd be interested to know if any other 'foreign' whiskies were permitted the same.

I bet the prescription writing doctors were popular people .
Old 06-16-2015, 05:22 AM

Default Interesting bottle

Hi I have a old bottle that says distilled 1913 and bottled 1933
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 AM

i hope i can have that whisky
Old 08-11-2015, 02:44 AM

Send me a PM

Last edited by Islay Peat; 08-14-2015 at 09:48 PM.