ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 11-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Default What Should I Try Next?

Hi all,

This is my first post!

I'm relatively new to the scotch world. Can you help me pick a scotch to try next:

Things I like: caramel, honey, hint of smoke, candied citrus and dark fruits, hint of spice, red fruit, phenolic

Thinks I don't like at present: earthy, big smoke, astringent, overpowering spice, roughness, cask strength products.

I've tried a variety of entry level stuff, and been intrigued.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:51 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Greetings and welcome!

The descriptors given are helpful, but if you're willing to list a few specific whiskies you've tasted, both that you liked and didn't like, such information would be beneficial in aiding any suggestions we may have.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:33 AM

Hi & welcome.
Yes it would be helpful to know what you've tried and what you thought of them.
Sounds like you might prefer the 40% alcohol by volume offerings for the time being anyway.

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 (quite flavorful to me). I believe it would be a good match to your want descriptions. It's 46.3% abv though.
Aberlour 12 might be one for you (I get hints of licorice in it), or possibly one of my favs, Balvenie DoubleWood 12. Both these are unpeated though.
I really liked the Springbank 10 which is a 46%er. I think earthy might be a good descriptor for it though and it's got a good dose of peat.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 11-29-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I'd agree with Bill that you should search out the Bunnahabhain 12, or better yet, if price is not an issue the 18. There are a few whiskies where I don't care for the 12, but like the 18. When it comes to Bunnahabhain, I like them both, especially the 18.

Another fairly reasonably priced, and understandably popular whisky is Macallan 12. I suspect you'll also like this one.

Last I would once again add to Bill's suggestion of Balvenie 12 Doublewood, a very good whisky, the slightly older and amazing Balvenie 17 Doublewood. Between this one and the Bunnahabhain 18, two of my absolute favorites.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM

Thank you for the suggestions!

Price is a consideration, but I'm mostly planning to be tasting them at festivals and pubs where I don't have to buy a whole bottle, so there is some flexibility.

The suggestions you made are very much in line with what I like. Here is a rough list of the scotches I've tried that were to my taste. Ones marked with a * are favourites:

Arbelour Abunadh*
Arbelour 16
Balvenie 12 Single Barrel
Balvenie Double Wood 12
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte*
Bunnahabhain 12, 18*
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Glenmorangie Original*, Nectar d Or
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Macallan 12, 15, 1824 Amber, 1824 Ruby, 1824 Sienna
Mortlach Rare Old*
Talisker Isle of Sky 10
Tobermory 15*

And these are ones that I also tried, but for which my palette is not currently attuned. I am not criticizing these products, and I can see they are well made and popular. My relatively new (to scotch) palette is, however, perhaps not ready for the following:

Amrut Fusion
Auchentoshan 12, 18
Aberfeldy 12
Bowmore 12, Darkest 15
Glenfiddich 12, 14yo Rick Oak, Distillerís Edition 15yo
Glenlivet 12, Founderís Reserve
Highland Park 10, 12
Macallan 1824 Gold
Old Pultney 12
Strathisla 12
Old 11-29-2015, 08:45 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodie View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post!

I'm relatively new to the scotch world. Can you help me pick a scotch to try next:

Things I like: caramel, honey, hint of smoke, candied citrus and dark fruits, hint of spice, red fruit, phenolic

Thinks I don't like at present: earthy, big smoke, astringent, overpowering spice, roughness, cask strength products.

I've tried a variety of entry level stuff, and been intrigued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodie View Post
Thank you for the suggestions!

Price is a consideration, but I'm mostly planning to be tasting them at festivals and pubs where I don't have to buy a whole bottle, so there is some flexibility.

The suggestions you made are very much in line with what I like. Here is a rough list of the scotches I've tried that were to my taste. Ones marked with a * are favourites:

Arbelour Abunadh*
Arbelour 16
Balvenie 12 Single Barrel
Balvenie Double Wood 12
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte*
Bunnahabhain 12, 18*
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Glenmorangie Original*, Nectar d Or
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Macallan 12, 15, 1824 Amber, 1824 Ruby, 1824 Sienna
Mortlach Rare Old*
Talisker Isle of Sky 10
Tobermory 15*

And these are ones that I also tried, but for which my palette is not currently attuned. I am not criticizing these products, and I can see they are well made and popular. My relatively new (to scotch) palette is, however, perhaps not ready for the following:

Amrut Fusion
Auchentoshan 12, 18
Aberfeldy 12
Bowmore 12, Darkest 15
Glenfiddich 12, 14yo Rick Oak, Distillerís Edition 15yo
Glenlivet 12, Founderís Reserve
Highland Park 10, 12
Macallan 1824 Gold
Old Pultney 12
Strathisla 12

You've tried quite a few! And that's why I wanted to see what you had tried; having read your descriptors, I would not have suggested Laphroaig's Quarter Cask, yet there it is on your "liked" list, although I realize it's not checked off as a favorite.

The Aberlour on your list marked as a favorite, along with some Macallan expressions suggests a fondness for sherry finished whiskies. I would recommend something from GlenDronach. I've tried their 12, 15, 18, and 21, with the 21 being my hands down favorite among the GlenDronach expressions. The other three are all good. The 15 and 18 are similar; the 15 is the better value.

Continue exploring Balvenie. Some nice whiskies there.

Since you liked the Quarter Cask, maybe give Laphroaig's 18 a try. Not as in-your-face as the Quarter Cask, it's deeper, richer, the phenols are still there, but more muted. I also suggest giving something from Ardbeg a try.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 PM

fantastic! I will give these a try!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 AM

Looks like you've been around the horn. Isn't A'bunadh a cask strength malt?
IMHO of course, Bowmore 12 and Macallan 12 taste like whisky flavored kool aid to me. I find the Macallan 12, although a very easy drinker, rather fruity and monotoned.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 11-30-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:41 AM

It may well be... I had a sip of it at a friend's house, so I didn't see the bottle. I remembered it having overripe red cherries on the palette - something I quite enjoyed.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:56 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Seeing your list I'm tempted to suggest you finding yourself a bottle of Lagavulin 12. I have the 16 and Distillers Edition too but the 12 is my hands down favorite from them.

It is one of the very smoky, peaty scotches, but also very refined and after looking at your list, I'd be surprised if you didn't find yourself liking it if you take your time getting your nose used to it before ever taking a sip, even if that means taking 20 minutes to get there.

I love the Quarter Cask too and glad to see the Bunnahabhain 18 as one of your * drinks. By the way, just like me, you didn't care a lot for the Highland Park 12 or Old Pulteney 12. Do yourself a big favor and look for the HP18 and OP17, and while you're at it, Talisker 18 (skip the 10).
Old 11-30-2015, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the help! I'll try a few of the suggestion on the weekend and let you know my findings.