ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Default Tasting Maker's Mark Cask Strength

Maker's Mark Cask Strength
Very good but did anyone think it wasn't going to be?

On the nose this thing hits me with a ton of sweetness, light and pure.... Corn syrup, sweet roll (I love this), sugar.... And alcohol. A lot like stitzel-weller juice. In fact, bust out a bottle of stitzel Weller juice and sniff away... Very similar, definitely in the ball park.

For those not used to the higher proof, slow down a bit when you pour this one into your mouth. This thing is yummy but, it's young, so its thin and it is a barrel proof. It can get really hot real fast for a lot of people.

That big pure sweetness hits the front of my palate wonderfully. The corn syrup, sweet roll and sugar are all there... Nothing simple about it though because the flavors are distinctly different and they wave back and forth allowing for a wonderfully sweet experience that creates an enjoyable flavor profile...

Then the youth and barrel proof of this thing kicks in. IMO this is its only weakness. Its thin and the alcohol attacks all at once. It shifts from an amazing sweet entry to an all out assault the split second it finds the middle and sides of your palate. Time settles it a tiny bit but what helps more is to just not let to much of it get to your palate without slowly breaking in your palate and then knowing your own palates limits. In short, its thin but manageable or tolerable.

As the heat subsides a nice and familiar pepper sensation/flavor begins to emerge and then the sweetness returns.

Give this thing a few more years in the barrel so it can thicken up and its a world beater... It might be perfect. As it stands now it is a very high quality dram that is very well made. On the nose and palate IMO it is very much stitzel-weller like minus the fact that its just to young.

How do you rate something that is absolutely amazing in every way except for one and that one thing is down right inexcusably off? I don't know about you guys but the rest of it is so good, so darn good, that I will gladly keep sipping it and rate it high.

Last edited by donmorgan; 11-15-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 AM

Great notes Don. Totally agree that this would be fantastic with a few more years in the barrel. I like it as it is still and will continue to enjoy it. I actually prefer this to OWA which I find to be to strongly sweet and unrefined. I know some love OWA so it's possible I've only had a mediocre batch, but MMCS is a clear winner to me.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:04 AM

The quality difference between OWA and MMCS is very noticeable. MMCS is, IMO, much better.