ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Whisky Blends

Old 05-25-2015, 04:31 AM

Default JW Red VS. Black

Im curious exactly what the difference is between Johnnie Walker red label and black label? I know JW black is aged 12 years but how long is the red aged for? If any?

Let me know plz

Thanks!!!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoke39 View Post
Im curious exactly what the difference is between Johnnie Walker red label and black label? I know JW black is aged 12 years but how long is the red aged for? If any?

Let me know plz

Thanks!!!
The red label is probably aged 3 years.

All Scotch whisky must be aged in oak barrels for at least three years and one day. Any age statement on a bottle of Scotch whisky, expressed in numerical form, must reflect the age of the youngest whisky used to produce that product. A whisky with an age statement is known as guaranteed-age whisky.

Particulary I hate the taste of Red Label. lol

Last edited by Islay Peat; 05-29-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:17 AM

Default JW Red VS. Black

Johnnie Walker Black comprising of rich dried fruits, the lingering creamy toffee hint pleases the palate and perfectly complements the smooth and smoky finish and combining around 40 single malt grain whiskies, and when comes to Johnnie Walker Red It is characterized by full-bodied and pungent flavors with notes of herbs and heather with hints of fruits and honey.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:48 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I'm not a fan of either. Red tastes harsh to me. Black is only a little better.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:33 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by renan576 View Post
Particulary I hate the taste of Red Label.
You're not alone there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
I'm not a fan of either. Red tastes harsh to me. Black is only a little better.
Once again, my feelings exactly.
The lowest Johnnie Walker I've had that was 'drinakable' was the Double Black, and I don't think I've even seen it anywhere recently.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

I've tried several in the JW line: Black is fair. I enjoy the Green label, and tend to keep a bottle. Gold Reserve was just OK, seemed a bit rough around the edges. The 18 year old is pleasant, and I may buy another bottle someday. I haven't tried Blue yet, and likely won't anytime soon.

The thing about the JW line is they're all 40% ABV, except the Green, which is 43%. I think, but not 100% sure, the Green is blended using all malt whiskies, whereas the rest of the line has at least some grain whisky in the blend.

But, most of the time I'm sipping a Single Malt, currently working my way through a bottle of Glendronach 21 Parliament.

Tags
johnnie walker