ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Default Glenmorangie Nector D'or

Can anyone tell me more about Glenmorangie Nectar D'or?
What is the age of this whisky? I have been curious about this whisky
for some time, but have not yet tried it. Has anyone tried this single malt?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Glenmorangie Nectar D'or

Hello sirius - Glenmorangie Nectar D'or is one of my absolute favorites. It's a 12 year single malt which is matured in bourbon casks and then extra matured in Sauternes wine barriques from some of the most well respected vineyards in France. It is a delight. Sweet, syrupy, raisins, some spice, honey, toasted oak, vanilla, smooth. I just love it!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Whisky.com Expert

I have never heard of that Glenmorangie. How would you say it compares to Glenmorangie Port Woor Finish? It sounds like it is sweeter than the Port Finish. How available is it in the US?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:21 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

It is our understanding the Quinta Ruban replaced the Port Wood finish (which I understand so many of you truly enjoyed). We were told there are a couple distinctions between the Quinta Ruban and the Port Wood finish. The Quinta Ruban is non-chill filtered, which brings much more depth the spirit that chilled filtration. This also brings about the increase ABV. Also, Quinta Ruban is aged in higher quality artisinal port casks than the port casks used for Port Wood Finish. Finally, the 2nd maturation (in the port cask) is longer that the Port Wood finish (Quinta Ruban spends more than 2 full years in the Port Cask). This adds richer chocolatey-minty notes to the Quinta Ruban. Essentially Dr. Bill, the Master Distiller and considered an authority in Scotch Wood Aging, took a great scotch and figured out a way to tweak the recipe to make it better.

A side-by-side tasting of the Port Wood finish next to Quinta Ruban was conducted long before it was launched in the US, and the Quinta was exceptional in a side-by-side comparison. As for me, I am truly sorry to say I never had the opportunity to try the Port Wood finish, however, here's my feedback regarding the Quinta Ruban - The Quinta Ruban is smooth, warming, lots of body, port. Great combination of spice & sweet. Nose - brown sugar. The rest of my notes....The Nectar D'or - Nose is sweet raisins. Smooth, syrupy, fruit, spice. Stellar. The Lasanta is also an excellent choice with rich sherry notes, spice, sweetness, vanilla. The 18 yo is yet another wonderful Scotch - very smooth, sweet, nutty and syrupy. The best part of the evening was a private tasting of Glenmorangie Signet - malty chocolate - simply superb.

As for availability in the US, you should not have a problem finding it. : )
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 AM
skcheng

I'm starting things off this evening with the Nectar D'or. And then I'm moving onto my newest acquisition, the Signet.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Default New Review for Quinta Ruban

Since Jojo mentioned the Quinta Ruban I though I may as well share my latest review:

Review: Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Scotch Whisky)

I plan to review the Nector D'or, the La Santa, and the 18 year Old Very Rare over the next few months. As a bonus I am attempting to contruct cocktails worthy of these fantastic Malts. I managed four cocktails and one snifter drink for the Quinta Ruban.

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Default Price

I have all the Glenmorangie wood finishes.But I am also interested in getting the Signet and Nector D'or.
Are they limited bottlings?
Also how much does the solera reserve go for now ,and can it still be bought?
Thanks