ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 04-01-2011, 01:43 AM

Default Where Can I find Balvenie 21 Portwood in So Cal

Anyone know where I can find this stuff? I live in Riverside County - close to LA. I hear the increased ABV version is even better than the "standard" stuff.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 AM

Default Duty Free Balvenie 21 Portwood

Dr. Spencer - If I'm not mistaken the duty free bottling, rather bottling at higher ABV and non-chill filtered, is a bottling relegated to duty free shops in certain markets. I know it is/was in different Asian markets. Thus, your only chance of getting it near L.A. would be at LAX if you were traveling out of the country and could buy it was for sale in the duty free shop. Or perhaps you might have a friend returning from Taiwan and might find it in duty free on their way home?.

This is not an unusual means of brand building while attempting to match a limited supply with an unknown demand. It also helps determine what the market's interest is, will bear, and whether or not there's enough of both to increase supply for a future and broader distribution. Johnnie Walker green label was originally released and only available in duty free shops in Europe. And there are many other examples.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Dr. Spencer - If I'm not mistaken the duty free bottling, rather bottling at higher ABV and non-chill filtered, is a bottling relegated to duty free shops in certain markets. I know it is/was in different Asian markets. Thus, your only chance of getting it near L.A. would be at LAX if you were traveling out of the country and could buy it was for sale in the duty free shop. Or perhaps you might have a friend returning from Taiwan and might find it in duty free on their way home?.

This is not an unusual means of brand building while attempting to match a limited supply with an unknown demand. It also helps determine what the market's interest is, will bear, and whether or not there's enough of both to increase supply for a future and broader distribution. Johnnie Walker green label was originally released and only available in duty free shops in Europe. And there are many other examples.
Thanks for the excellent info. Very interesting. Non chill filtering with higher abv would take this over the top. Indeed, I think that's one of the reasons the Glenlivet Nadurra Triumph is very appealing to me. The lipids make it sooooo creamy.

Unfortunately I know no one returning from Taiwan. Perhaps this shall be my quest.

BTW, I'm happy to say I'm enjoying the "regular" stuff as we speak.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM

I am going to get my first bottle of the Portwood 21. It will be the "regular stuff" and probably wont drink it for a while. But I am excited anyways.

Good luck on finding the stuff you are looking for.....
Old 12-26-2013, 04:25 AM

Default balvenie portwood 1991

i hav a bottle of balvenie portwood 1991 if you are interested email me luke.farmer77@gmail.com
Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 AM

Default Duty Free - Hit or Miss

I transited through LAX this past October on a red eye to Taiwan. The LAX Duty Free had Balvenie 21 Portwood on sale for $150/bottle, but unfortunately for me, the store was closed by the time I walked by. On my way back, the Taiwan Duty Free had Balvenie 30 on sale for $600, but I just couldn't pull the trigger for that price. Fast forward to my December trip, same itinerary, no Balvenie 21, 30, anywhere, but I did scored a bottle of Balvenie Tun 1401 batch 7 on the outbound........ Duty Free in my experiences are Hit or Miss, their stocks turns over so fast, sometime can't even find the same products months apart. You either grab the chance or miss it completely.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 AM

There is a Bevmo in Temecula that should be able to acquire it for you, though that location is currently showing out of stock. If you contact them, they should be able to transfer it to there or any other nearby location.

Tags
balvenie, balvenie - portwood, balvenie 21