ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Default Scotch Stored In A Open Glass Bottle

hello,
i have a beautiful scotch glassware set that i got for my wedding.
i want to pour my bottle of johnnie walker double black in the decanter. it does not have a sealed top on the bottle only a fancy stopper that is not air tight.

basically its like how they use to store scotch in the old days.

will this ruin my scotch?
if not how long will it last in the decanter.

thank you.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 AM

It won't ruin your Scotch but there are a couple things to be aware of. First, if the decanter is lead crystal, you don't want to leave the whisky in it too long as traces of lead from the crystal can be leached into the liquid. If it's not lead crystal you have little to worry about. Second, to solve the less than air tight seal, put a piece of plastic wrap between the stopper and the decanter. This will improve the seal. Finally, the main thing with opened whisky is that the whisky does evolve with air contact and will go bad over time. Most people don't recognize this but it is sadly the case. The best prevention is to simply drink the whisky. I find an open bottle changes most in about the first week it's been open and problems start to show up in 3-6 months. Thus, use your decanter but plan to drink the whisky up within a couple months. After all, JW double black isn't a showpiece but something meant to be quaffed.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Question WhaT IS THIS BOTTLE WORTH.

i HAVE A BOTTLE OF THE MACALLAN DISTILLED OR BOTTLED I`m`M NOT SURE WHICH,BUT TO CELEBRATE THE 35TH. ANNIVERSARY OF PRIVATE EYE.

Before I crack it open this Xmas, what is it worth, someone told me about a thousand quid, so I thought I should compile a special toast when we quaff that one.

Roy Smith

Tags
decanter, johnnie walker black, shelf life