ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 AM

Default Single Malt Shootout!

Ok guys, it's time for a shootout! Your picks will help me grow my collection! Thanks in advance for your help! Here we go:

Ardbeg 10 or Uggy vs Laphroaig QC

Macallan 12 vs Highland Park 12

Dalmore Cigar Malt vs Glenfarclas 15

Glenlivet 15 vs. Glenfiddich 15 Solera

Talisker 10 vs Bowmore 12
Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
Ardbeg 10 or Uggy vs Laphroaig QC
This is easy - all three. No kidding, these are three of my favorites, and they are different, but perfect enough to be absolute necessities of life.

Quote:
Talisker 10 vs Bowmore 12
I can't weigh in on the others but have a strong preference for the Bowmore 12 and it's a very smooth, enjoyable, but only mildly peaty when compared to the big three.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM

Macallan 12 is smooth, but I would take the HP 12 over it any day. I think the HP has a deeper flavor profile, with a nice touch of smoke to it. I have not had Glenfarclas 15, but I really enjoy the Dalmore Cigar Malt. I do think it is overpriced, though.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM

I would buy all of them except the bowmore. If I had to let another one out it would be the dalmore. All the others are a must have. Specify if the macallan is a fine oak or sherry oak. If its the fine oak don't bother.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
Ok guys, it's time for a shootout! Your picks will help me grow my collection! Thanks in advance for your help! Here we go:

Ardbeg 10 or Uggy vs Laphroaig QC: Ardbeg Uigeadail

Macallan 12 vs Highland Park 12: Highland Park 12

Dalmore Cigar Malt vs Glenfarclas 15: Glenfarclas 15

Glenlivet 15 vs. Glenfiddich 15 Solera: Glenlivet 15

Talisker 10 vs Bowmore 12: Talisker 10, but to be honest, I haven't tried Bowmore 12, only Bowmore Legend.
Of ALL the above whiskies, I would rank them thus:
1) Glenfarclas 15
2) Ardbeg Uigeadail
3) Talisker 10
4) Laphroaig QC
5) Highland Park 12, etc...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 PM

"Macallan 12 vs Highland Park 12: Highland Park 12"

Bullocks. The MacAllan, hands down.

"Talisker 10 vs Bowmore 12: Talisker 10, but to be honest, I haven't tried Bowmore 12, only Bowmore Legend."

No way. Bowmore 12 is not on my favorites list, but it is less offensive and harsh than the Talisker 10.

Different strokes...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_T View Post
"Macallan 12 vs Highland Park 12: Highland Park 12"

Bullocks. The MacAllan, hands down.

"Talisker 10 vs Bowmore 12: Talisker 10, but to be honest, I haven't tried Bowmore 12, only Bowmore Legend."

No way. Bowmore 12 is not on my favorites list, but it is less offensive and harsh than the Talisker 10.

Different strokes...
Hahaha! Yes, different strokes. I find the Macallan 12yr Sherry Finish to be on the boring side, with little in the way of complexity or refinement. Highland Park beats it on every matrix except smoothness, but it is Highland Park's character that I find so appealing. I also gave it to HP, because even at the 18yr level, I prefer HP18 over Mac18.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post
I find the Macallan 12yr Sherry Finish to be on the boring side, with little in the way of complexity or refinement. Highland Park beats it on every matrix except smoothness, but it is Highland Park's character that I find so appealing.
Only if your idea of "character" is a turpentine-soaked sand-paper finish.

As for complexity, I find new flavor notes with every dram of the MacAllan, and if refinement doesn't include silky smooth, then we have very different notions of that particular criterion as well.

Agree to disagree?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:40 AM

Frankly, I would never put the two (Mac & HP) up against each other. They are just two very different malts.

I would put Mac 12 up against Aberlour 12 Double Cask, Balvenie 12 Doublewood, and Glenfarclas 12.

Of those, there is a real shoot-out! In fact, I don't know which one I would go with! I would have to actually sit down and do a blind test, because I couldn't trust my memory/bias.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 AM

SHOOT-OUT:

Mac 18 vs. Glenrothes 1991 vs. Aberlour 18 vs. ??

That would be a great blind tasting!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:15 AM

Thank you all for the great responses. Being fairly new to scotch, I value greatly those with experience and their (strong) opinions!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Of ALL the above whiskies, I would rank them thus:
1) Glenfarclas 15
2) Ardbeg Uigeadail
3) Talisker 10
4) Laphroaig QC
5) Highland Park 12, etc...

wow, surprised to find the uigedail below the glenfarclas (or any of those on the list, really--save, perhaps the QC) and the laphroaig QC below the talisker. different strokes for different strokes, indeed!

interesting that your 3-5 are ALL bottles that i have bought in my relative newbie SMSW experience thus far--and i have NOT bought many! i've bought the QC far more than any other expression (enough to redeem points for a free laphroaig glencairn glass and start putting points toward the next one!). last year, my first non-laphroaig bottles were ardbeg 10 and talisker 10--and i've just bought 5 bottles which included the HP 12 and glenfarclas 105 (the others: springbank 10; caol ila 12; and lagavulin 16)! feels good to have positive reinforcement about my choices, even though they are a matter of quite individual and personal tastes!

for what it's worth, the only expressions i've tried that have left a strong and positive impression arguably in the same league as the QC are uigedail and HP 18. i've been disappointed, frankly, by the glenfarclas 105, whose nose and palate i've been inexplicably unable to pin down (though they remind me of sabbath at the temple in my old hometown!). a neighbor gave me a b-day gift of the macallan 12 (35 cl bottle), and that's actually been a bit better than i expected, and more distinct or easier to pin down (as opposed to a mishmash that i can't make "sense" of with my not-so-discerning nose and palate)...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
+1
The Bowmore 12 isn't one of my favorites either but at least I can enjoy it, which I can't say about the Talisker 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singordie1818 View Post
wow, surprised to find the uigedail below the glenfarclas (or any of those on the list, really--save, perhaps the QC) and the laphroaig QC below the talisker. different strokes for different strokes, indeed!

for what it's worth, the only expressions i've tried that have left a strong and positive impression arguably in the same league as the QC are uigedail...
Same song here - Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg's Uigeadail are a couple of very enjoyable whiskies.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Frankly, I would never put the two (Mac & HP) up against each other. They are just two very different malts.
Indeed.

Quote:
I would put Mac 12 up against Aberlour 12 Double Cask, Balvenie 12 Doublewood, and Glenfarclas 12.

Of those, there is a real shoot-out! In fact, I don't know which one I would go with! I would have to actually sit down and do a blind test, because I couldn't trust my memory/bias.
I have not had the Glenfarclas 12 yet, but I agree about the other three. The differences are there, but very subtle.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM

The 15yr and older Glenfarclas expressions are vastly different than the 10 and 12yr.

I am not a fan of the 105. I would strongly urge you to try the Aberlour A'Bunadh or the Macallan Cask Strength over the 105.

Again, comparing Highland Park, Talisker, and laphroaig/Ardbeg is very difficult, as they are very different.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 PM

The 'Farclas 15 is a simply divine dram. I rank it ABOVE its older brethren, the 17, 21, and 25. I would be surprised to learn if anyone who has tasted the GF 15 would disagree with me on my placing it above all the others.

To be honest, I had a somewhat tough time putting the Talisker above the QC. I could be persuaded to switch those two positions. If it was the distiller's edition Talisker, I would stand my ground.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
To be honest, I had a somewhat tough time putting the Talisker above the QC. I could be persuaded to switch those two positions. If it was the distiller's edition Talisker, I would stand my ground.
Every time I've tried the Talisker 10 I found it to be only bearable, while the Quarter Cask is one of my favorites.

I don't know if I just have a very different set of preferences than all the people who seem to like the Talisker so much, but with your seal of approval on the distiller's edition I plan on giving it a try when I get the chance.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 AM

Distiller's Edition is a sherry finished Talisker, making it akin to the HP18. Maybe a little peppery/spicier than the HP18.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I've only had the HP12 so far and actually need to try that again too.

Still trying to figure out the descriptions of what I like and don't but it's being an enjoyable journey so far.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I've only had the HP12 so far and actually need to try that again too.

Still trying to figure out the descriptions of what I like and don't but it's being an enjoyable journey so far.
The journey is the best part!!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Just picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10 for $35 at the duty free shop!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
Just picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10 for $35 at the duty free shop!
You have a paint removal project?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 PM

I just picked up a couple new bottles:

Lonach 36, which is a blended whisky containing 40+ year old Caprodonach, Glenlivet, Bunnahabhain, or Highland Park. I say "or", because it is not commonly known what exactly is in it, and there are conflicting reports. However, it comes HIGHLY recommended, so I am giving her a go.

A.D. Rattray's Independent bottling of a 22yr old Glenrothes. This one is an unknown, but I typically really enjoy vintage bottlings from Glenrothes. It is a Single Cask bottled at cask strength.

To tie this in to the topic, Glenrothes 1991 would do well in a head-to-head competition with Mac 18, and supposedly the Lonach 36 beats Johnnie Walker Blue.

Last edited by jwise; 06-07-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
You have a paint removal project?
The first bottle of Laphroaig 10 I bought seemed like a mistake until I realized how great it is.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 PM

A friend of mine who has just recently gotten into drinking whisky was given a bottle of Laphroaig QC by his girlfriend. After taking one sip, he sold the bottle to me! I gave him market value, so as not to discourage his experimentation.

Needless to say, he comes to me now before making any purchases! He has had Aberlour 12, Bunnahabhain 12, and will probably be trying Dalmore 12 next.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
A friend of mine who has just recently gotten into drinking whisky was given a bottle of Laphroaig QC by his girlfriend. After taking one sip, he sold the bottle to me! I gave him market value, so as not to discourage his experimentation.

Needless to say, he comes to me now before making any purchases! He has had Aberlour 12, Bunnahabhain 12, and will probably be trying Dalmore 12 next.
That was good of you to not take advantage of them. I came close to buying a bottle of Quarter Cask last week, but went with a bottle of the ever dwindling Cask No.16.

Not sure if I like it yet or not, but it's definitely not objectionable in any way.