ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 AM

Default Recommendation for Father's day to a complete newb

I know absolutely NOTHING about spirits. I'll mix some Jack with some Coke and I'll be happy. My father, on the other hand, knows how to enjoy a good scotch. I can give you no other information other than he likes Glenlivet 12, I remember I really hope that's enough to come up with a suggestion. My mom doesn't have a clue what he likes, and I can't ask him without spoiling the surprise. My budget is about $150, but I can go up to $200 if it's worth it. PLEASE give me some help on this. If there's an important question, I'll do my best to get an answer for you. Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 AM

A pretty safe bet would be an older Glenlivet, like the 18 or 21. Either should be within your budget.

Can't wait for the days when my son is deciding on which nice bottle of whisky to get me!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 AM

I 100% agreed with Glenlivet 18. The age shows you got him a quality spirit (in this case) and the brand shows you cared enough to notice what he likes!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Yeah, that's good advice. Get him the oldest bottle of Glenlivet you can afford.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

It seems to be a fairly unanimous decision but just speaking from my own perspective, I don't like the older versions of my favorites and it may be possible that the older Glenlivet might not be his cup of tea, so to speak.

One of my friends that said Glenlivet 12 was his absolute favorite now has a couple new favorites in Maker's 46 and Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Pretty disparate sampling between the three I know, but figured it might be good for some of those better versed to give it a little more thought and possibly come up with something not as old, but with a flavor profile that might come across as more of an improved version of his present favorite.

Can any of you guys think of anything that might fit that description?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM

You could always go with Macallan 18yr. It is a very smooth, delicately sweet whisky. I would expect anyone who likes Glenlivet 12 to absolutely love Mac18.

It is also expensive, notoriously so, and therefore has a certain luxuriousness to the gift. While I have found others that are as good and cheaper (Aberlour 18yr) they don't have the same cache as Mac18.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM

This may seem like really stupid advice, but for whatever it's worth...
Why not get him a bottle of the one that you know he likes?
If I were in his place, I would consider it a very thoughtful gift. I would much rather receive one my favorite malts than one I might or might not like as well, and that if I did, might or might not be readily and inexpensively available as a repeat purchase.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_T View Post
If I were in his place, I would consider it a very thoughtful gift. I would much rather receive one my favorite malts than one I might or might not like as well, and that if I did, might or might not be readily and inexpensively available as a repeat purchase.

best suggestion so far.

Or...how about a bottle of 12yr which you know he likes and a bottle of 15 (or 18) year if you budget allows.

So 1 you know he likes and a new one, a step up, to try.

If he likes scotch and Glenlivet that he's not going to turn his nose up at it
Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I talked to my uncle (who knows as much about spirits as I do) and he says my dad told him Glenfiddich 18 is one of his favorites. Since it's available here, and it's well within my budget, I think I'll get him a couple bottles of that. Thanks again for the suggestions

Quote:

I thought about that, but I checked his liquor cabinet and he has 2 1/2 bottles of Glenlivet 12. Turns out he found a pretty good deal so he stocked up. I'd rather not get him some more.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:13 AM

Default A little something different

I don't know where you are located but you may wish to see if there is a Whiskyfest or a Single Malt Fest in your area within the next year and buy him a VIP ticket to that. This way your father can sample a number of different single malts to see if there is something else out there that he enjoys.

Best of Luck,
Scotty
Old 06-08-2013, 04:19 AM

I used to only drink Glenlevet, mainly because it was what I could afford and I still love it. I would almost say buy a bottle of that and then a bottle of mac 12 or battlefield 10, balvienie double wood, Glenmorange 12, Grangestone 18/12, glenfidich 12, or even glenlivet 18. That way you can stay under budget, give him something he like and something new.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 PM

I recomend the balvenie 17 year old sherry oak or even better the macallan 18 year old sherry oak. They are both speysiders like the glenlivet , much better quality and within your price range. Maybe for the macallan a little bit more.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:22 AM

Default A Matter of Taste

Guys, in all fairness, nobody knows this gentleman's palate other than himself. That said, can we really make recommendations on anything other than the facts we already know? If the guy likes Glenlivet 12, get him a few bottles of that. Anything more would be a guess! Better yet, why not spend some quality time with dad and take a trip to the liquor store together?
I don't want to step on any toes here, because I value your opinions, but we are only speaking based on what we like. If we all had the same tastes in whisky, a lot of distillers would be closed! Viva Variety!
Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Well said, David T! Wish I read this before typing my own response!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. The guy asked for some opinions because he wants to buy a nice gift to his father and we try to help him. My guess is that te father likes single malt whisky and he drinks glenlivet 12 which is a nice whisky but is also an everyday one because is a cheap one. (Price not quality). The son want to give him a birthday single malt not an everyday one that is why he asked the "experts". If he wanted to buy him what he already has he would , he wouldn't ask anyone.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1990 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I talked to my uncle (who knows as much about spirits as I do) and he says my dad told him Glenfiddich 18 is one of his favorites. Since it's available here, and it's well within my budget, I think I'll get him a couple bottles of that. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Excellent!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoskl View Post
Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. The guy asked for some opinions because he wants to buy a nice gift to his father and we try to help him. My guess is that te father likes single malt whisky and he drinks glenlivet 12 which is a nice whisky but is also an everyday one because is a cheap one. (Price not quality). The son want to give him a birthday single malt not an everyday one that is why he asked the "experts". If he wanted to buy him what he already has he would , he wouldn't ask anyone.
I guess my earlier message was misinterpreted. I don't believe anyone was forcing this gentleman into buying a specific whisky. On the other hand, I believe several responses were giving no more consideration other than naming their personal favorite dram. That said, I have no problem with personal opinion. My first thread I started was "Single Malt Shootout." All responses were based on opinion, which is what I wanted. I had many great answers, including one from Drakoskl, and I appreciate. My answer above was just yet another suggestion (by spending time with his father). Once again, I apologize for any confusion.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
Guys, in all fairness, nobody knows this gentleman's palate other than himself. That said, can we really make recommendations on anything other than the facts we already know? If the guy likes Glenlivet 12, get him a few bottles of that. Anything more would be a guess! Better yet, why not spend some quality time with dad and take a trip to the liquor store together?
I don't want to step on any toes here, because I value your opinions, but we are only speaking based on what we like. If we all had the same tastes in whisky, a lot of distillers would be closed! Viva Variety!
I really liked both these posts and understood your perspective.

When David made his post I thought it was spot on, but the mention of personal favorites always creeps in since as favorites, we all have a hard time imagining others not liking that which we like so well.

Good that he found out that the Glenlivet 18 was one of his favorites.

Now for a glass of Cask 16...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
When David made his post I thought it was spot on, but the mention of personal favorites always creeps in...
Well, not always, but it takes discipline.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:08 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Well, not always, but it takes discipline.
My statement didn't mean any particular individual so much as a thread in general.

I agree with your statement for individuals, but when it comes to the threads...
Old 06-12-2013, 12:24 AM

I think we can all agree that we are thankful this guy's uncle was able to guide him into a proven recommendation for his father! Everyone wins! And to all of you fathers out there, thank you for the guidance, discipline and concern you've provided. Any dram we have on Sunday is dedicated to you.