ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 PM

Question New Member!

Hello guy's and Ladies,

Excuse my english, it is not my main language.

Well i am 21 years old and recently whisky drinker. I use to love the classic Jack & coke for getting drunk but i was interessed to discover more about the flavors. I started to drink it neat, but Jack Daniels... I found it not really good. Then i switched to some Crown Royal, not so good... Good mixer for drinks but to much sugar and bitterness. Then i bought myself a bottle of Chivas regal 12, i quite enjoy it, in fact the bottle is at it last miles. I also tasted a Redbreast 12 at a bar and i loved the woody/oaky flavour, with the smoot refreshing finish.

As im still a student and i can't affort anything to pricy, but i enjoy having a dram every two days (maybe everyday in vacation). Also where i live, the government taxes alcool intensely... ( Ex: Glenfiddich 12: about 50$, JW black: 55$, HP 12: about 70$ etc..)

Im going to spend two weeks in the US i want to buy myself a couples of single malts or any good drams as whisky is less expansive so i can get more for my bucks!

I want to find two bottles to explore, to bring back home. And a everyday drinker for my trip, i may have 125 bucks for the 3.

PS.: I will go to normal liquor store, also to a costco with a build-in liquor store, which have almost every good selling brands going frong The balvenie to auchentoshan (i guess as i saw on internet) and i hope price will drop there.

Any suggestion? I like the taste of whisky and the only limit is to avoid Peat monsters, i dont mind tasting a little peat but not to start with a monster.

I think its a complete post, thanks for answering,
Jay
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 AM

Welcome to the world of whisky, Jay!

I would recommend the following three for your trip:

Balvenie 12 Doublewood, Highland Park 12, and Black Bottle (blend).
Since there are many reviews online of these three, I will not elaborate.

I love all three of these, and the price is right. Let is know what you decide. Once again, welcome!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 AM

Well i looked over for the Balvenie 12 DW, is about 70$ here in montreal, HP 12 is the same and i hope to find Black Bottle in the US because i can't find it in SAQ (gov. liquor store).

For the everyday drinker, i was looking at the Glenlivet 12 or Auchentoshan Classic (not sure about this one, i hate the cheap alcool bitterness and after taste... And i don't really know about Auchentoshan at all.) In fact, if i see The Balvenie DW or HP 12 affordable i'll jump on it.

Im looking forward to get some good deal.

In an other subject, as a new whisky/scotch drinker and because of my young age, i realised in the last month that our alchool prices are really overpriced here... I use to buy commercial brand, vodka/rhum/liquor and i though it was the world selling price as i haven't any interest to read about the spirit or either compare prices by forum/selling sites, so now i see what my grandfather mean when he was saying that our "province" isn't made for quality alcool lovers but just for mainstream "party" alcool.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 AM

It is amazing how prices vary from country to country, or even state to state for the US. I live in Alabama but buy most of my whisky when I visit friends in Florida. They have a much better selection and prices. Where will you be visiting in the US?

By the way, I got those three bottles for $120 total

Did I read this correctly that you wanted recommendations for purchase while in US?

Last edited by wallagm; 06-26-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 AM

Really? One word: Taxes. We have many social services, the government finance them by high taxes based on income and by lottery and alcool. And only the "SAQ" can sell strong alcool as spirit/liquors, we absolutly have to pass by them, even for private imports.

Im going friday to a trip to Ocean isle Beach, north carolina. I will need a good whisky after 20 driving hours.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Look up "Total Wine and More" locations and make it a point to stop at one on your way to vacation. There are some locations in North Carolina and it is worth visiting. In addition, you can see their prices online and the selection is incredible. I buy all my scotch here. Let me know what you think.

Huge selection and, usually, great prices.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 AM

Actualy im shocked about the prices there, i browsed online almost every single malts and im really impressed. But as i entered NC in the states, the page tells me that they cannot sell spirits because of the state law!?

So i will have to stop to in South Carolina. I'll have to make compromise on clothes shopping as she has the car for that trip and she hates scotch/whisky!

Unfortunatly, they don't have black bottle. I'm looking for some everyday drink in that, one of my friend is about bourbon, is it worth a try? or i should get a scotch?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 AM

Delaware and New Hampshire have no state sales tax. Yes, Total Wine and More is a good place to check prices online, then you can make a purchase at the store you find with the best prices.
I liked Johnnie Walker Black when I was your age. Now I think it tastes like kool-aid. Big, peaty, smokey Islay fan now.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Delaware and New Hampshire have no state sales tax. Yes, Total Wine and More is a good place to check prices online, then you can make a purchase at the store you find with the best prices.
I liked Johnnie Walker Black when I was your age. Now I think it tastes like kool-aid. Big, peaty, smokey Islay fan now.
Well Im not at this point yet. I was thinking of maybe buying JW black if i cant find a black bottle. I was thinking about glenmorangie 10 also. Not the same style but i read good comments about it.

I know one thing, i love whisky in general, i just dont know what are my favorites flavors panel.

Also thanks for answering, both are pleasant to argue and it helps me a lot.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:10 AM

That really surprises me about selling spirits in North Carolina. I am very fortunate to have a wife who accepts my whisky habit. Haha.

Bourbon is a great whiskey that, compared to scotch, is less expensive. My favorites are Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark. Both should be around $30 each for 750 mL size and great for sipping. You can get cheaper, but they typically fall into the quality suitable for mixing. To contrast, you can also spend much more on bourbon, but I think the two I named are great representations for a good price.

Glenmorangie 10 was the first single malt I had and loved it for the price. Worth looking into for sure. I just bought a bottle of JW Black. I'm quite a fan of it and based on what you've said, I think you'll like it too.

I hate that your whiskey prices are so expensive but your country does have one thing I cherish that isn't available in the US: Cuban Cigars.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:30 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Then i switched to some Crown Royal, not so good... Good mixer for drinks but to much sugar and bitterness.
Regular Crown Royal is not so good, but you should give the Limited Edition a try. Not overly expensive, and if you shop around there are some decent prices to be found. I got a couple bottles for about $23 each and for that price, it's pretty enjoyable.

Before you come stateside take a good look at all prices in Canadian stores before you come down, as there are a couple surprisingly decent prices in Canada despite the horrifically high prices on most spirits.

One I'm going to recommend from down here is Bulleit Bourbon, at about $28-35. Also if you'd like something really smooth, look for Outlaw whisky from Wasilla, Alaska.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Hello, Jay and welcome to the forum.
Balvenie Doublewood 12 is one of my favorites. It is very similar to Aberlour 12 which you might be able to find at a lower price. It's $25 less around here.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Administrator & Owner ClubWhisky.com

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

Quote:
Actualy im shocked about the prices there, i browsed online almost every single malts and im really impressed. But as i entered NC in the states, the page tells me that they cannot sell spirits because of the state law!?
Liquor sales in North Carolina is completely controlled by the state government, including the price. Stores like Total Wine can only sell beer and wine in NC. Liquor is sold only at ABC stores.

Even though the stores are state controlled, each store doesn't necessarily carry everything available in NC. If you're interested in shopping in NC, look for ABC stores in more affluent communities. Those stores will have a better selection of Scotch and bourbon.

South Carolina liquor stores are privately owned, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They have to adhere to government regulations, but they have more control over their inventory.

Edit: I forgot to say, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by john_b; 06-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 AM

As i am not a big cigar fan, i dont think its an avantage yet to have cubain cigar in our province...

Well i know almost all the prices of my local liquor store So i can find deals!

But what about the costco liquor store un North Carolina?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 AM

Unfortunately I am not a member of Costco anymore. In our state, they didn't have liquor anyway. Based on previous posts, I bet North Carolina is the same way.

Go here: http://abc.nc.gov/pricing/pricebook.aspx

North Carolina only sells liquor in ABC stores. The link takes you to their prices, which are posted monthly or quarterly, and gives you an idea of what they sell.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
Unfortunately I am not a member of Costco anymore. In our state, they didn't have liquor anyway. Based on previous posts, I bet North Carolina is the same way.

Go here: http://abc.nc.gov/pricing/pricebook.aspx

North Carolina only sells liquor in ABC stores. The link takes you to their prices, which are posted monthly or quarterly, and gives you an idea of what they sell.
Yeah i had already found that price list by googling it. But i went there two years ago still with my girlfriend family and i remember the costco had a liquor store (in South Carolina). My girlfriend father is a fan of costco and bought his alcool there two years ago and he tells me that there is a pretty good selection and good price, i dont know for whisky because he drinks rhum and gin. But i guess its the same. But that year her father bought my alcool because i wasnt legal age of drinking in the us as its 18 in my province.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 AM

I suppose there is only one way to know for sure. Let us know about your findings!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 AM

Of course! Departure in 4,5 hours, you'll have a picture update if i have access to wifi there! If not, see ya in two weeks!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 PM

Looking forward to hearing about some great finds, Jay!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Hey folks!

Back from the U.S. 2 days ago. I found interesting deals there!

In fact i wanted to buy different products, not in the same "profile". I also wanted to save buck's in buying them in the us.

I bought:

Glenlivet 12 Yo --> 375 ml (bought 15$ instead of 27$)
Elijah Craig 12 Yo small batch bourbon --> 750 ml (bought 23$ instead of 43$)
Highland Park 12 Yo --> 750 ml (bought 45$ instead of +- 70$)
The Macallan 12 Yo Sherry cask --> 750 ml (bought 50$ instead of 93$)

As i arrived 2 days ago, i only had the chance to taste the glenlivet 12 yo. Wow, it impressed me as i drank it just before souper with 32 degree C outdoor.

Small notes :

Nose -- Floral, little wood (oak), a bit of sweetness, hints of honey.
Taste -- Refreshing, like bitting in a flower, a little cane sugar, but the nosing honey is not there.

Final-- Short, still floral but turns fast into oak.

Impression: really easy drinking, not that complex but it is a good drink with friends for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jm1q.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1859  
Old 07-19-2013, 02:05 AM

I think you've made some great choices, and decent prices too. In addition, it was wise to start with the Glenlivet. What do you plan to try next of your recent purchases?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I think you've made some great choices, and decent prices too. In addition, it was wise to start with the Glenlivet. What do you plan to try next of your recent purchases?
Hard to say, i think i'll keep the macallan as it's the higher cost, probably because i won't buy it again unless i fall in love with it (aberlour 12 and 16 are lower and a'bunadh is the same price)

In fact, i think it will be the Bourbon. I want to have two opposite style opened. The Glenlivet is only a 375 ml bottle so it won't be long to drink it. After the Glenlivet's over, i will go highland park.

I am already thinking about my next purchase! I don't really have time to write every choice here and their prices, but i will do in the next days!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 PM

Good luck with that, Jay. MacAllan doesn't last long here. If you like Aberlour, you'll love it.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_T View Post
Good luck with that, Jay. MacAllan doesn't last long here. If you like Aberlour, you'll love it.
Looking forward to maybe buy aberlour if i like the macallan. One question, is the 12 really worth the investement? Is it better than the 10 yo?

For me the Aberlour 10 is 46$, aberlour 12 is 65$ and balvenie DW 66$.

My price range would be around those.

There is many choices as:

- Bushmills 10
- Aberlour 10/12
- speyburn 10
- bowmore 12
- Auchentoshan 12
- Glendronach 12
- AnCnoc 12
- Macallan 10 fine oak
- Laphroaig Quarter cask
- Glenffidich 15 solera
- Old pulteney 12

Cheaper: Bushmills 10/aberlour 10

What im thinking of buying: Aberlour (10/12), Auchentoshan 12, Bowmore 12

In fact as long as i havent finished my studies ( 3 years...!), im looking for the best dram for my bucks.

The most recommended here seems to be Laphroaig QC, but i don't want to go peat monster yet, thats why i put the bowmore 12 in the list, as i can read its a quality introduction to peat, without being rude.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to maybe buy aberlour if i like the macallan. One question, is the 12 really worth the investement? Is it better than the 10 yo?

- Bushmills 10
- Aberlour 10/12
- speyburn 10
- bowmore 12
- Auchentoshan 12
- Glendronach 12
- AnCnoc 12
- Macallan 10 fine oak
- Laphroaig Quarter cask
- Glenffidich 15 solera
- Old pulteney 12

In fact as long as i havent finished my studies ( 3 years...!), im looking for the best dram for my bucks.

The most recommended here seems to be Laphroaig QC, but i don't want to go peat monster yet, thats why i put the bowmore 12 in the list, as i can read its a quality introduction to peat, without being rude.
I would pass on the Auchentonshan 12. I found it just ok. The Auchentoshan Vallinch is 10x better. Its the Cask strength version of the 12 and really out shine the Reg 12.

Glenffidich 15 is a Great whisky for the money. one of the Best bang for your buck out there, IMO.

Now I love the Balvenie Carberain Cask. Bought a bottle today but its simpler whiskey for sure and SO easy to drink. Just a around good time whisky.

Last edited by Ratman; 07-21-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 AM

Jay, consider buying Bunnahabhain 12 for a "milder" introduction to islay. To me, it's a FANTASTIC dram (and I'm not just saying that because I'm sipping it right now). I think you'll be very pleased with it. I think many would agree with this recommendation over Bowmore.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I can't say, as I have not had the 10. Sorry.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Jay, consider buying Bunnahabhain 12 for a "milder" introduction to islay. To me, it's a FANTASTIC dram (and I'm not just saying that because I'm sipping it right now). I think you'll be very pleased with it. I think many would agree with this recommendation over Bowmore.
In fact, Bunnahabhain 12 is a little overpriced at about 90$ ( i don't even do that in a complete day of work...!)

The only auchentoshan that are accessible are the 12 and 21, and at the price of the 21 i can have way better drams (i think).

Well the next purchase will probably be the balvenie DW or glenffidich 15 solera as i only can get good comments. The islay can wait i guess! Maybe the aberlour if i fall in love with the macallan but as i want something different of what i already own (to match my moods), i'll have to make a good choice, the next purchase after this one should be on christmas!

Also, i want to thank you all for your constructive answers. I really like this forum because it's active and no one is judging. I've been to other forum where the only answers i could get were: well you can't have a good scotch if you can't put the money, try the highland park 30 or the balvenie 30...!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:09 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:

- Bushmills 10
- Aberlour 10/12
- speyburn 10
- bowmore 12
- Auchentoshan 12
- Glendronach 12
- AnCnoc 12
- Macallan 10 fine oak
- Laphroaig Quarter cask
- Glenffidich 15 solera
- Old pulteney 12

The Bowmore 12 is very gentle and pleasant and I tend to think of it as a cousin only by vicinity rather than flavor to the stronger Islay bottlings.

I like it and will buy it again, along with the DoubleWood and Quarter Cask.

I've had the Bushmills 10 and found it drinkable, but not necessarily enjoyable and the one, and much the same with my feelings towards the Jameson's 18 I had. For Irish whisky I liked the Connemarra best so far.

Speyburn 10 is pleasant and inexpensive, Macallan Fine Oak for me is something to avoid and the Old Pulteney 12 was okay for an inexpensive bottle.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
The Bowmore 12 is very gentle and pleasant and I tend to think of it as a cousin only by vicinity rather than flavor to the stronger Islay bottlings.

I like it and will buy it again, along with the DoubleWood and Quarter Cask.

I've had the Bushmills 10 and found it drinkable, but not necessarily enjoyable and the one, and much the same with my feelings towards the Jameson's 18 I had. For Irish whisky I liked the Connemarra best so far.

Speyburn 10 is pleasant and inexpensive, Macallan Fine Oak for me is something to avoid and the Old Pulteney 12 was okay for an inexpensive bottle.
I guess the bushmills would be a chivas regal 12 more smoother...

What are your thoughs on glenrothes select reserve?

Tonight Will be the night of elijah Craig! Hope it is a good dram! Eheh!
Impression on it tomorow!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I guess the bushmills would be a chivas regal 12 more smoother...

What are your thoughs on glenrothes select reserve?

Tonight Will be the night of elijah Craig! Hope it is a good dram! Eheh!
Impression on it tomorow!
Gave away the rest of my bottle of Chivas Regal 12 and have yet to try any Glenrothes.

Look forward to hearing what you think of it and the Elijah Craig though.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 AM

Hey folks! I know it have been a couple of days but i wanted to taste it a couple of times to really size it! So here it is:

Elijah Craig 12 years old small batch bourbon:

Nose: Lots of vanilla, sweetness, a little of honey, spice, oak, complex, you already feel its a really comfortable whisky to drink.

Body: Usualy i won't mention the body but this is kind of special, very oily, dense. Less liquid than the others whisky i've tasted.

Palate: First taste: Alcool burn, then sweet... 47% abv is too high to appreciate the flavors (for me as i still have trouble with high % alcool)

Second taste (with a little water): Seductive spyciness, vanilla but not overpowered as in the nose, still complex, oak, dry fruits, soft and pleasant.

*** The nose doesn't change much with water and 10 mins waiting.

Final: Long oak/spicy final i still taste those two flavour about 3-4 minutes after sipping.

Overall: Great product, different from what i've tasted before, comfortable and really complex. Even if i bought it in an other coutry, here it is still cheaper than glenlivet and glenfiddich, and it is WAY supperiour in quality.

This is not my favourite flavour profile but it is a must buy as it is cheap and really good. I am impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9od9.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1875  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 AM

Glad to hear you like the EG 12. I am not really found of it myself but i will drink if someone pours me a glass. Just won't buy it, Eagle Rare 10yr is my preferred drinking bourbon. So I would recommend that.

Last edited by Ratman; 08-04-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Glad to hear you like the EG 12. I am not really found of it myself but i will drink if some poyrs me a glass. Just won't buy it, Eagle Rare 10yr is my prefered drinking burbon. So I would recommend that.
In the us i've tassed Jim Beam black and knob creek (friend bought a bottle) and wasn't impressed by bourbon i seriously though i wouldn't like elijah Craig but had already bought it. Still in an medium range bourbon, i think you get a good bang for bucks and a drink that can have enough complexity for an advanced whisky drinker and a great taste that beginers Will like.

But i Will have to try eagle rare 10yo to compare with.

Still a long way to go on the Road of whiskies!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:44 AM

Keep it up, Jay. It's a big whisky world out there. Glad you're enjoying it so far!

My wife surprised me tonight with a bottle of Ardbeg 10. What a great wife! I'll give you the details when I pop the cork!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Hey! After a couple of days of drinking whisky (even in a hot
Summer), i am asking you a question: why are you drinking whisky? The taste of course. But i found out that this special drink helps my think, about hard choices to make in my Life and of course a not of nostalgia of pats events. I like drink it alone and i have a trouble drinking it with friends who doesnt like whisky, i cant analyze it... As i dont have any friend who really like whisky, its a bit frustrating drinking it in a social environnement! Well new friends better like whisky!

*after a half bottle of the glenlivet and half of EC12, i am thinking about opening HP12 in a week or two, comments soon!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:25 AM

Two days ago i had a dram of bowmore 12 at a bar.

I cant really say i appreciated it.

The nose took me 30 mins to get used to, really rich and "fat" peat. Not my style

Palate: smokey peat, not bad but not good

Finish: smooth peat, not heavy an hard, quite good

Overall: hated the nose, not my style of whisky.

Are the other peated whisky very different?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Definitely a wide variance from one to another and while I like the Bowmore 12 over the Caol Ila 12, most opinions go the other way.

You'll have to take some time with at least the basic offerings of Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig too.

Tags
new to whisky