ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 AM

Default Islay- one by one

Though I would not say my single malt experience is limited, I am very limited in Islay distilleries. That said, I have committed to purchasing one bottle per distiller and finishing it before moving on to the next. I am currently finishing Bunnahabhain 12 and have a bottle of Ardbeg 10 waiting next. Now is the part where I need advice:
1. Laphroaig - 10 or Quarter Cask (same price)
2. Bowmore - 12 or Legend ($20 dollar price difference (worth it?)
3. Lagavulin - 16 or 12 ($35 more for the 12)
4. Bruichladdich - which one is best value?
5. Caol Ila - Intending to get the 12
6. Kilchomen - I'll take what I can find

In addition, I would love suggestions on a recommended order to approach these. After trying all, I intend to go back and try other expressions (ugga, corryvrecken, etc.)

Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 AM

I guess I would start with the Laphiog since its the best know and will give the best base to judge the other by on what a Islay should be. And then from there you can go the Lagavulin 16 and Caol 12. I would drink them in this order if it was me.

1. Laphiog 10- to set a base.
2. Lagavulin
3. Caol
4. Bowmore- I am on of the few that prefer Darkest but to stay to the Islay, I would get 12
5. Bruichladdich- Classic to get a sense of what their base brand is and then try there heavy peated.
6. Kilchomen- 100% Islay if you could.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:46 AM

You must get the Laphroaig 10 (very tasty). It's an Islay icon. The quarter cask should be about $7 more so a good buy for the same price. I much prefer the Ardbeg 10 to both however. I felt the Quarter Cask (also very tasty) was a bit harsh, crude, green, unrefined. The Lag 16 is a very good dram but overrated and overpriced in my opinion.
The Bowmore 12 is a good whisky but boring compared to the big southern island peats.
From what I've heard on the Caol Ila 12, I'd not even bother with it.

I would say the Lag 16 is somewhat more refined that the Laphroaig 10.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 08-04-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Speaking of icons, although it is technically not an Islay because the distillery is on the Isle of Skye, Tallisker is an iconic peat monster nonetheless.