ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 AM

Default Glenfarclas 17

I started my scotch journey in Speyside. I gravitated toward the smoky, peated and Islay whiskies, for a while, and now (while I still enjoy a bonfire in my mouth from time to time), I'm going full circle back to the lightly peated or unpeated whiskies.

My latest purchase was Glenfarclas 17.. Was around $85 USD. I have absolutely loved this.. About halfway through. I actually have to force myself to just have one at night, because I could easily finish half the bottle in a sitting!
It's smooth, wonderful favors (not too much sherry either) and just a tiny hint of smoke at the end.

My question is, what are some whiskies that may have a similar flavor profile to the 'Farclas 17? Anyone else try this expression?
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:40 AM

I bought a bottle of it a few weeks ago after seeing that Michael Jackson gave it a high score. I hate to be a Scrooge this time a year, but I don't really care for it. The flavor is not that interesting and the finish is weak, almost nonexistent. For the money and in the same flavor range, I prefer Glenlivet 18 (there I go again about that one) or Glenfiddich 15 Solera, or Balvenie Double Wood.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbo8 View Post
I started my scotch journey in Speyside. I gravitated toward the smoky, peated and Islay whiskies, for a while, and now (while I still enjoy a bonfire in my mouth from time to time), I'm going full circle back to the lightly peated or unpeated whiskies.

My latest purchase was Glenfarclas 17.. Was around $85 USD. I have absolutely loved this.. About halfway through. I actually have to force myself to just have one at night, because I could easily finish half the bottle in a sitting!
It's smooth, wonderful favors (not too much sherry either) and just a tiny hint of smoke at the end.

My question is, what are some whiskies that may have a similar flavor profile to the 'Farclas 17? Anyone else try this expression?
Thanks!
I think you might want to check out Glendronach. My understanding is that Glenfarclas, Glendronach and Aberlour are all similar enough that one being preferred puts the other on the radar. I would like to try the Glenfarclas myself. Love Aberlour and have a 12 and 15 Glendronach waiting to be had.

Also for an unpeated slightly smokey but honey's dram, look for Bruichladdich The Laddie 10. Cannot stop thinking about it.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBrian View Post
Also for an unpeated slightly smokey but honey's dram, look for Bruichladdich The Laddie 10. Cannot stop thinking about it.
I just tried this the other day alongside Bunnahabhain 12 and can't stop thinking about either one of them!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I just tried this the other day alongside Bunnahabhain 12 and can't stop thinking about either one of them!
IP, glad to see you enjoyed the Bunny 12. It's a refreshing change when you want a dram that doesn't pack the peaty punch of a southern islay. From my understanding, the Bunnahabhain has been greatly improved in quality since pre-2009. Can anyone confirm?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 AM

I've only been drinking Bunny 12 since 2008 or so. No idea about any change.

I love Glenfarclas 15, and the 17 is as close as you can get stateside.

Try the Aberlour 16yr. It is very good, and it is similar enough to try out.

I'm sipping Macallan 18 right now, which is a very delicious whisky. I'm thinking about what #2 will be, before I move on to Laphroaig or Lagavulin for my #3.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
IP, glad to see you enjoyed the Bunny 12. It's a refreshing change when you want a dram that doesn't pack the peaty punch of a southern islay. From my understanding, the Bunnahabhain has been greatly improved in quality since pre-2009. Can anyone confirm?
I feel like I'm an exception at times to Islay lovers as there seems to be an undercurrent of thought that we are addicted to the rush more than the flavor and aroma, which is what I love about my favorites.

Corryvreckan, Ardbog, Quarter Cask, Bookers even; it's not about the blast for me, but rather that I enjoy the flavor profiles of them, and mild as the Bunnahabhain 12 is, it's just absolutely satisfying in all ways, or at least it was when I tried it.
I'll be back for more, definitely.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
Yes, Bunnahabhain did upgrade. They're also now at 46.2% abv and non-chill filtered. It's been a few months since I've had some, but for $50 or less, I found the 12 year to be very enjoyable!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
This thread caused me to go out and buy a bottle of The Laddie Ten... So thanks a lot!

Just tried it for the first time tonight.. Wow. Very good, especially at the $50 price point. I taste a lot of similarities to the Bunnahabhain 12... And I might even say that I prefer The Laddie by a very small margin.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxHorn View Post
I bought a bottle of it a few weeks ago after seeing that Michael Jackson gave it a high score. I hate to be a Scrooge this time a year, but I don't really care for it. The flavor is not that interesting and the finish is weak, almost nonexistent. For the money and in the same flavor range, I prefer Glenlivet 18 (there I go again about that one) or Glenfiddich 15 Solera, or Balvenie Double Wood.
Interesting. To each their own I guess... But unless I had a bad bottle of Farclas 17, I'd never choose Livet 18, Fiddich 15 (or 18), or Doublewood.
To me, the Farclas 17 has a complex flavor and very nice, medium-long finish. But again... To each their own, and that's the beauty of scotch... So many to choose from!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:05 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I tried my first Glenfarclas last night, 15 and 21 and found them both drinkable, but no more. Luckily I've found several others that I do like recently, including having changed my mind about the Caol Ila 12 which I hadn't particularly cared for when I tried it last year.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I tried my first Glenfarclas last night, 15 and 21 and found them both drinkable, but no more. Luckily I've found several others that I do like recently, including having changed my mind about the Caol Ila 12 which I hadn't particularly cared for when I tried it last year.
I had the Glenfarclas 15 in Scotland this past summer. It was one of my favorites, and I drank a ton!

It's always fun to reconnect with a single malt and realize your tastes have changed.. I've had this go both ways for me. I'm glad you found pleasure in the Caol Ila 12. I really enjoy that one too.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbo8 View Post
I had the Glenfarclas 15 in Scotland this past summer. It was one of my favorites, and I drank a ton!

It's always fun to reconnect with a single malt and realize your tastes have changed.. I've had this go both ways for me. I'm glad you found pleasure in the Caol Ila 12. I really enjoy that one too.
I was surprised that I didn't care for the Caol Ila last year, but now suspect that I was just trying it out at the wrong timing both times I had it, whereas last night both glasses were great, as was the Ardbeg 10 I followed it up with!

I'll try a couple more Glenfarclas before closing the door and one of them is the cask strength which my friend recommended.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Glenfarclas 15 is one of my favourite's - well priced, macallan's sister distillery and great quality whisky. The cask strength is good, let us know what you think.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:15 PM
ClubWhisky.com Member

The only Glenfarclas I've had was a sample of the 15. It started out good but about 30 minutes into it, the flavors seemed to get a little off. Being just a sample, for me the jury is still out on Glenfarclas. I would try the 15 again, and would also like to try a few of their other expressions before writing them off.