ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 AM

Default Most Overrated Whisky

Ok everyone, let us be respectful of other's opinions but what do you believe is the most overrated single malt on the market today?

Also, instead of using this forum to defend your favorite dram, use this thread to provide your own "overrated whisky." Please give your reasoning (too expensive, decline in quality, etc.)

Have fun and be nice!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:29 AM

Most things coming out of Dalmore.

Never been a fan of it, everything I've tried takes a lazy toffee option, too "watery" with no where near the complexity I'd expect.

...don't get me wrong, they are good whiskies; a nice, smooth everyday dram for when you don't want to have to think about what you're drinking.

Over-priced, over-rated and falls short quality.

.....I've also been underwhelmed by my experience with Macallan somewhat. I always expect them to be better then they actually are. I've not yet had one that reaches the expectations set by the hype and price.

Much better things out there than these 2 "super premiums" as they like to think of themselves, certainly for the price.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Probably the Macallan 18. It's as smooth as can be but lacks flavors and complexities. It's a safe drink but pricey.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmax82 View Post
Probably the Macallan 18. It's as smooth as can be but lacks flavors and complexities. It's a safe drink but pricey.
When people talk about the macallan should specify if they are talking about the fine oak series or the sherry oak. Also the macallan 18 comes in many vintages so that's also something to consider. If you are talking about the fine oak 18 I agree. But the macallan 18 sherry oak it's unbeatable IMO.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:38 PM

I agree. The Macallan Sherry Oak is a fantastic drop.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM

Johnnie Walker Blue. I win.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 PM

Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12.
These are 25 dollar whiskies. Overrated? The next step is to put them in the salad
Old 07-31-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
Agreed...!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
+1

You beat me to it because you saw the thread before I did. I like the JW Blue, but it should be selling for 1/3rd or less than it does.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 AM

Though I've never had JW Blue, I expected it to be the most popular pick on this thread.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

If someone offers you a drink I think you'll like it, but compared with others you like, I'm sure you'll agree the price and reputation both should be much lower than they are.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 AM

Only time I drink JW Blue is when someone give me a JW gift set. Which I have gotten twice now. Its a nice set that has Red,black,gold and blue in it, all 20cl bottles and only cost 60$ around me. the red and black I save for people wanting scotch and soda but the gold and blue I drink. Blue is not a bad whisky IMO but doesn't demand the price it goes for, niether does gold cause I prefer Green if I am going for JW but its not outrageous like Blue.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoskl View Post
These are 25 dollar whiskies. Overrated? The next step is to put them in the salad
I wouldn't do that to a good salad. Or even a bad one.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakoskl View Post
Many actually say they like them...
BTW, they are more like $32.

P.S.
GLENLIVET 12 YR SINGLE MALT SCOTCH 750 80.00 $42.95 (Idaho liquor prices state wide)
GLENFIDDICH 12 YR SINGLE MALT SCOTCH 750 80.00 $40.95

Opps, I was off, as popular as this cr@p is, and considering the price... it is indeed overrated.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 08-01-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:

P.S.
GLENLIVET 12 YR SINGLE MALT SCOTCH 750 80.00 $42.95 (Idaho liquor prices state wide)

Opps, I was off, as popular as this cr@p is, and considering the price... it is indeed overrated.
Where i live these whiskies cost 19 euros. Some shops offer glenfiddich 12 for 14 euros sometimes. So IMO its a good price for it. And i would not say that they are bad whiskies. But 43 dollars is alot indeed.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:

P.S.

I feel your pain. It seems like prices here in Alabama are similar to your state. For me, it's impossible to justify spending over $40 for 'livet or 'fiddich when I can get Ardbeg, highland park 12, or Laphroaig for about $5 more!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
I feel your pain. It seems like prices here in Alabama are similar to your state. For me, it's impossible to justify spending over $40 for 'livet or 'fiddich when I can get Ardbeg, highland park 12, or Laphroaig for about $5 more!
exactly!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallagm View Post
Turpentine isn't expensive.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:01 AM

12 Glenviet is only 25-30$ around me and think that a good price for it
Old 08-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
12 Glenviet is only 25-30$ around me and think that a good price for it
Where are you? Bangladesh?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Where are you? Bangladesh?
Albuquerque NM. Costco(Wholesale warehouse store) has it for 29$ all the time. Sometimes 25$. Total wine has it for 28 right now.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product...-12-yr/2792750
Old 08-04-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Albuquerque NM. Costco(Wholesale warehouse store) has it for 29$ all the time. Sometimes 25$. Total wine has it for 28 right now.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product...-12-yr/2792750
I'm in Idaho with state dominated liquor sales. Costco and Total Wine in Washington state are out because Washington has COO COO high tax on liquor, and Montana is a rip off with high prices.

Can you get any low prices on higher end Scotch there?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I'm in Idaho with state dominated liquor sales. Costco and Total Wine in Washington state are out because Washington has COO COO high tax on liquor, and Montana is a rip off with high prices.

Can you get any low prices on higher end Scotch there?
Not really cause we don't have the distributors that are willing to bring in the higher ends whiskys. No one on the state will even carry Japanese whiskey. I saw McAllen 25 for 699$ today and Old Purtley 21 for 138$ but only bought a Isle of Arran 10yr for 45. I seen Balviene 21yr Port Wood for 150 at a place before. I did pick up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23yr for 300$ last fall but only cause I am friends with the owner of the store.

NM just doesn't have a market for the higher end stuff. So will rarely get anything other than the common everyday shelve type things.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
NM just doesn't have a market for the higher end stuff. So will rarely get anything other than the common everyday shelve type things.
Drive down to Mexico and load up on top quality Oro Añejo Tequila.

That reminds me, I saw the Japanese whiskey I tasted with Peat in the Idaho liquor store today. I think it was $60. The names all sound the same to me so I don't remember but the label was familiar.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Not really cause we don't have the distributors that are willing to bring in the higher ends whiskys. No one on the state will even carry Japanese whiskey. I saw McAllen 25 for 699$ today and Old Purtley 21 for 138$ but only bought a Isle of Arran 10yr for 45. I seen Balviene 21yr Port Wood for 150 at a place before. I did pick up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23yr for 300$ last fall but only cause I am friends with the owner of the store.

Same problem in Maine!!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
... but the gold and blue I drink. Blue is not a bad whisky IMO but doesn't demand the price it goes for, neither does gold cause I prefer Green if I am going for JW but its not outrageous like Blue.
I like the Green and Blue, but definitely find the Green to be a lot closer to costing what it's worth to me.

Since you've obviously had your way with the Gold, can you tell a bit more about it? The Gold and Platinum are the two that I haven't had the chance to try yet, but definitely want to.
Quote:
That reminds me, I saw the Japanese whiskey I tasted with Peat in the Idaho liquor store today. I think it was $60. The names all sound the same to me so I don't remember but the label was familiar.
It was probably the Yamazaki 12, and just typing that makes me want to pour a glass of it.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:07 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
I like the Green and Blue, but definitely find the Green to be a lot closer to costing what it's worth to me.

Since you've obviously had your way with the Gold, can you tell a bit more about it? The Gold and Platinum are the two that I haven't had the chance to try yet, but definitely want to.
It was probably the Yamazaki 12, and just typing that makes me want to pour a glass of it.
mmmmm... Yamazaki 12... Opening a bottle right now.

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
"Chill out, it's just a whisky forum."
Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post

There really not a whole lot to the Gold. Its more of a Softer blue, if you can believe that. It just doesn't have anything that stands out to it. Its a good blend for sure and something ANYONE can drink, whiksy drinkers or not. Its goes down easy, too easy if that makes sense. Its a very forgettable drink to me. Something I can drink/enjoy and then move now to something else with out really remembering to well, cause there is nothing there to grab you attention, no spicy, no peat, no great aroma,just to easy to drink.

Green is better, IMO. Speaking of Green. Did they stop making it. I might have to grab me a few bottles if they did. I like green.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 AM

Talking

Quote:
Green is better, IMO. Speaking of Green. Did they stop making it. I might have to grab me a few bottles if they did. I like green.
From my understanding, and to my disappointment, JW discontinued production of Green Label in 2012. That said, The amount produced of Green, like the other labels, was a HUGE amount (relatively speaking). I see bottles occasionally in stores, but not often. I also bought one a few months ago to save. To no one's surprise, I gave in to temptation and began drinking it. The next bottle of Green i buy will go unopened for a LONG time... Maybe.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
There really not a whole lot to the Gold. Its more of a Softer blue, if you can believe that. It just doesn't have anything that stands out to it. Its a good blend for sure and something ANYONE can drink, whisky drinkers or not. Its goes down easy, too easy if that makes sense. Its a very forgettable drink to me. Something I can drink/enjoy and then move now to something else with out really remembering to well, cause there is nothing there to grab you attention, no spicy, no peat, no great aroma,just to easy to drink.

That description of the Gold makes me want to try it all the more. I really like some of the active flavor-bombs from Islay, but also like some very gentle drams as well, just so long as the flavor is agreeable.

The Green is still very available, if one searches for it, but no way of knowing how long it will last. I too think that I'll probably get another bottle if I can find a reasonable price on it.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinmax82 View Post
Agreed. Found it very similar to the 12 but twice the price (and I should say in the Fine Oak series).

Last edited by Macca; 08-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Mac12 fine oak i'd say. And from what other's say here the 18 is not much better. Unfortunately all we seem to have here is Aus is the fine oak series. I might try the other expressions if I have the chance to find when travelling but I am moving away from the Speysides and wanting to start on the Islays and Japanese.

cheers, Mike
Old 08-17-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
There really not a whole lot to the Gold. Its more of a Softer blue, if you can believe that. It just doesn't have anything that stands out to it. Its a good blend for sure and something ANYONE can drink, whiksy drinkers or not. Its goes down easy, too easy if that makes sense. Its a very forgettable drink to me. Something I can drink/enjoy and then move now to something else with out really remembering to well, cause there is nothing there to grab you attention, no spicy, no peat, no great aroma,just to easy to drink.

When mentioning the Gold are you talking about the 18yo Centenary (apparently discontinued) or the current Gold label reserve? I do enjoy the 18yo but have not tried the reserve or platinum yet.

Officially, Green is discontinued like the Gold 18yo but you can still find it if you try.

cheers, Mike

Last edited by complicated; 08-17-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complicated View Post
When mentioning the Gold are you talking about the 18yo Centenary (apparently discontinued) or the current Gold label reserve? I do enjoy the 18yo but have not tried the reserve or platinum yet.

Officially, Green is discontinued like the Gold 18yo but you can still find it if you try.

cheers, Mike
I guess it the Centenary version. i didn't know they change it,when did they make the change. This version was good but just too well blended. I prefer my dram to have atleast a one strong stand out favor like peat,sweet,heat,etc.

can i rise thes and use them as small decanters. I have a few bottles at the half way mark and want tp save the last third of them for later.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 PM

Picked up another gift set today, so I can go back and revisit Gold and Blue.

Here is the set.

I thinks its a good deal for 60$.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by complicated View Post
... wanting to start on the Islays and Japanese.
Take a look at my Japanese Whisky threads and when you go to Islay, there's a very special place at the southern end of the island where Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig are all within a mile of each other.

Quote:
Picked up another gift set today, so I can go back and revisit Gold and Blue.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Gold.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 AM

Overrated?

Ya, my vote goes to JW Blue.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Glenfiddich 12 is overated, but not so expensive. Lacking nice finish, and very sweet. Cant even like this for avec even if its very sweet.

Think I prefer a good blend before Glenfiddich 12.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Think I prefer a good blend before Glenfiddich 12.
There are several blends I like, and even moreso compared to Glenfiddich or Glenlivet 12.