ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Default What Are Some of Your Favorite "Underappreciated" Whiskys?

What are some Single Malts, or blends, that you really enjoy that maybe "fly under the radar"?

It might be fun to see what others like, and get exposure to some that you might overlook.

3 of mine are the Bowmore 12 year, the Singleton 12 year (Glendullun), and the 12 year Yamazaki.

The Bowmore may be overshadowed by some of the other Islays, but on a cold wintery day IMO it is a true treat. Smoky and crisp, with what I guess I would describe as a maple flavor. It's probably my favorite to nip at while on a chairlift

The 12 year Singleton is cheaper than either Glenlivet or Glenfiddich (at least locally), which seem to be very common for "entry level" single malts, but I really enjoy the Singleton much more than either of the other 2. It's definately a Speyside, and maybe not the most complex whisky, but it's mild, smooth, sweet, very approachable and enjoyable.

The Yamazaki is absolutely fantastic. The one quality I would really say jumps out is "crisp". It is so crisp, so clean on the tounge, almost like the feeling you have in your mouth after you bite a fresh crispy sweet red apple. It's great on a nice summer evening!

So, there's 3 to get the discussion started, what are some overlooked single malts or blends that you've enjoyed?

Nothing better than a Single Malt flask while on a chairlift
Old 12-19-2009, 02:42 AM

I agree wih the 12 yr Yamazaki, I find it much better than the more decorated 18 year.

The nonpeated Amrut Indian single malt is fantastic as well.

Balvenie 10 year founder's reserve was very under appreciated it is a pity that it is soon to be no more, but the 12 year Doublewood is almost as good.

Any Glenmorangie especially the nector D'or.

As for Blends, I find Ballantines Finest, and Grants to be stellar.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Try the Glenfiddich 15yr solera reserve - its fantastic and not too expensive!!
Old 12-25-2009, 01:28 AM

Aberlour 12yr is only $34/bottle. For the price, it is one of my favorite (even compared with much more expensive bottles.)
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post
Aberlour 12yr is only $34/bottle. For the price, it is one of my favorite (even compared with much more expensive bottles.)

I agree with this 100% - not only is it a great whisky to drink, IMO is a great looking whisky with it's Ruby color.

Nothing better than a Single Malt flask while on a chairlift
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 AM

Have to say my favorite is the Bruichladdich 2001 Resurection. Can't miss the bright neon bottle, lol. It's a touch more expensive than I'd like and unfortunately it's also limited (true Bruichladdich fashion) but an excellent 'daily' dram

Lately I've been sipping the Caol Ila Cask Strength... Wonderful for these cold winter evenings
Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Unregistered

Amrut Single Malt and Cask Strength
Caol ila Cask Strength
Yamazaki 12
Hakushu 10 and Hakushu 12
Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve
Glenlivet 12

My all time favourite underrated whisky is the Littlemill 19yo bottled in 1979. Probably the best bottling to ever come from that distillery.

Tags
amrut, bowmore, glendullun, yamazaki