ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Default What did I miss?

Hi everyone... first real post here.

I recently had the Ardbeg Corryvrekan. I wanted to try it after reading so many good things about it. My favorite bottle is and has been the HP 18. I'm never at home without a bottle in the cabinet. The Corryvrekan lacked the flavors I'm so used to receiving from the HP. I understand that they will both taste very different. But what did I miss when tasting this supposed good scotch?

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 PM

I'm with you on this one. I tried the Corryvreckan on two different occasions and didn't really care for it either time. Unlike say Ardbeg Uigedail it was strong without being smooth and didn't strike me as a good sipping dram. Oddly, I felt it was more smokey than other expressions from Ardbeg; perhaps more like an off tasting Lagavulin. If you bought the bottle I suggest mixing it with a non peated whisky with a ratio of 1 part Corryvreckan to two part other.

My buddy who bought the bottle loves it though.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Good to know I'm not alone on this one.

How does this compare to the Ardbog or 10 yr? Should I expect the same "level" of peat?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:58 PM

I have not had Arbog but do enjoy the ten year. Three years ago I tasted Iodine in the ten year but recently I found it more sweet and better balanced.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandsueco View Post
Good to know I'm not alone on this one.

How does this compare to the Ardbog or 10 yr? Should I expect the same "level" of peat?
Hopefully Boxcar Bill will come in and talk about the Ardbog but being a fan of Ardbeg 10, Uigeadail and Corryvreckan I can't stress the importance of making sure you pick the right one for your palate of the moment.

The only Ardbeg I always like is the 10, but I love the Uigeadail and Corryvreckan, even over the 10, when the time is right.

Ardbeg 10 and Corryvreckan are my two absolute must-haves from that distillery so far.

Take your time with your next glass and let us know if your thoughts change or if it's just not for you. Had some friends over the other day and one preferred Corrvreckan the other liked both, but flipped over the 10.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Corry is a bit of a beast and needs caution.

Basically; they take Ardbeg and slap some of it in new French oak barrels and then when it's reached maturity they cut it with standard Ardbeg 10b to mellow it.

So, take Ardbeg 10. Up it to 57% (as near as) and just because it's not quite hardcore enough, spice it up with some really spicy casks.

...so yes, very savoury.

It's one you need to spend some time over and go back to again and again, and make sure you are happy with a real big smack in the mouth from something ungodly peaty.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Well said thoughts. I have not "given up" on the Corryvrekan yet. I will look forward to my next date with Corryvrekan. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. However, a bottle of Balvenie Batch #6 showed up earlier this week. Perhaps a double date is in order. I'll post my impressions of both after the weekend.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezzer View Post
I have not had Arbog but do enjoy the ten year. Three years ago I tasted Iodine in the ten year but recently I found it more sweet and better balanced.
I'm new to the scotch game, but I recently bought a bottle of the Ardbeg 10 as my first peated scotch, and initially right after I opened it, I had a huge blast of iodine.

The flavor was so intense that I put the bottle down for a week or two, and when I came back to it, most of the iodine was gone, and the entire experience was much less intense.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Had a friend over for some scotch tonight and while he liked Laphroaig 10 already, he was absolutely floored by the Corrvreckan, that there was something that fabulous.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikash View Post
I'm new to the scotch game, but I recently bought a bottle of the Ardbeg 10 as my first peated scotch, and initially right after I opened it, I had a huge blast of iodine.

The flavor was so intense that I put the bottle down for a week or two, and when I came back to it, most of the iodine was gone, and the entire experience was much less intense.
That is interesting because when I recently had Ardbeg 10 again we opened the bottle that night. I know bottles can "open up" over time and expectations of the drinker can influence taste. If you are not expected something has heavy tasting as Ardbeg I can imagine the initial taste could be a bit much.

Perhaps this is a good example of variance between bottles, especially between years or geographic regions. The previous bottles we tasted that night could also have an effect.