ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Default Aberlour bottles...

=
I would tend to avoid their offerings due to their wretched bottles.
Just transferred a 12 to an empty Balvenie bottle.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:42 PM

What's the problem?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_T View Post
What's the problem?
If the words clodhopper and dumbbell could be combined...
Their bottles are from a world that just recently discovered the amazing properties of glass.... about 1510 AD.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:04 AM

The only draw back I see is if a person is trying to store a lot of bottles the wide bottom takes up more room. Conversely, the shorter bottles may fit in locations that have a lower shelf height.

And... Ralfy had a great video about adding more age or character to whisky but introducing a stave of sorts to an open bottle. The Aberlour bottles are great for this because the top is large enough to lower a piece of oak into the bottle. I have not done this yet but plan to in the future. My Aberlour bottles have been saved for this experiment.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 AM

good luck

The Aberlour bottles seem to be the worst for me for spillage while pouring and the Balvenie bottles the best with their drop saver rim.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 10-04-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
good luck

The Aberlour bottles seem to be the worst for me for spillage while pouring and the Balvenie bottles the best with their drop saver rim.
I agree that I tend to spill a little with the design of the mouth on Aberlour bottles, but it is no reason for me to disregard an otherwise great whisky!

Bill, the A'bunadh is the best Aberlour, I think. More complex then the 12, but twice the price, so your mileage may vary.

If the design of the bottle has you up at night, I will gladly rid you of any extra bottles you may have, free of charge, in order to ease your discomfort. My address is...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
good luck

The Aberlour bottles seem to be the worst for me for spillage while pouring...
Hmmm.... sounds like an operator problem.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 AM

I love there bottles. Balviene's are good too. I not a fan of the really straight long neck bottle like George T Stagg.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Bill, the A'bunadh is the best Aberlour, I think. More complex then the 12, but twice the price, so your mileage may vary.
I presently have 1 and 1/3 bottles of the A'bunadh. Although I don't care for it neat or with water it rings my bell when mixed with Ardbeg 10 or Ardbeg 10 and some HP 12 thrown in.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 AM

I am a huge Aberlour fan, and Balcones Texas whiskey fan. Both come in similarly shaped bottles (the Balcones Rumble is a FANTASTIC whiskey, nothing like a bourbon, and everything like a fine Scotch whisky).
Old 10-13-2013, 05:12 AM

Sounds different anyway

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 10-13-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 AM

Rumble, 100% Texas Spirit

Rumble

Balcones Rumble is a one-of-a-kind Texas spirit made from the finest local wildflower honey, mission figs, turbinado sugar and natural Texas Hill Country spring water and aged to perfection in small oak barrels. Rumble defies categorization, both in ingredients as well as the final product. It has elements reminiscent of tequila, scotch, young cognac and rum.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:09 AM

Boxcar Bill

Clodhopper and dumbell are combinable, Clodhumbell, that might be a town in the UK, not sure.

Agree about the gigantic mouth on the bottle, but it is hefty and manly.

The drip that runs down the bottle is intentional. Your cabinet smells great for hours!

Anyone have a breakdown of the 3? The profile seems great on the 12, but should I skip it and stick with A'bunadh?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 AM

My favorite bottle is a full one and yet I find most of mine seem to gravitate towards " Darn, This is almost gone!"
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoske View Post
My favorite bottle is a full one and yet I find most of mine seem to gravitate towards " Darn, This is almost gone!"
This post merits a thumbs up.

An EMPTY Aberlour bottle (with the stopper and label removed) still weighs about 8.6 pounds.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 AM

LOL, I just like to drink the amber water of life.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBrian View Post
The profile seems great on the 12, but should I skip it and stick with A'bunadh?
The 12 is one of my favorite half dozen.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 AM

I think the 12yr is a fantastic value, the 16yr is a wonderful whisky, and the 18yr is superb! The A'Bunadh is just the cat's meow for a sherry-bomb.

Aberlour is some of the best and most underrated/valued/priced whiskies produced in Scotland.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:48 PM

I know it's personal preference but I usually recommend the A'Bunadh to most whisky drinkers. I, personally, enjoy it greatly.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise View Post
I drooled a little on my keyboard.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:59 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
I think the 12yr is a fantastic value, the 16yr is a wonderful whisky, and the 18yr is superb! The A'Bunadh is just the cat's meow for a sherry-bomb.

Aberlour is some of the best and most underrated/valued/priced whiskies produced in Scotland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb View Post
I know it's personal preference but I usually recommend the A'Bunadh to most whisky drinkers. I, personally, enjoy it greatly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_T View Post
I drooled a little on my keyboard.
So for someone who didn't like the A'Bunadh, which Aberlour would you suggest?
As JW suggests, the 12, 16 and 18?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 AM

JWISE - Not cool. That is taunting! What a lineup.
Seeing those bottles does make me want to try a few more for sure. I was not aware of the 18 until a few days ago. I prefer the stubby bottles so I am thinking 12 and 18 would be good start.

ISLAY PEAT - If you dislike A'bunadh why try another? Just curious. I did not like Ardbeg 10 and assume skipping the range was reasonable. Do they vary enough that there could be another in the lineup worth trying?

Any chance you have tried Bruichladdich 10? It has a bit of Islay character with some of the Aberlour sweetness. I really like it.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
ISLAY PEAT - If you dislike A'bunadh why try another? Just curious. I did not like Ardbeg 10 and assume skipping the range was reasonable. Do they vary enough that there could be another in the lineup worth trying?

Any chance you have tried Bruichladdich 10? It has a bit of Islay character with some of the Aberlour sweetness. I really like it.
Just on the chance I'll like one of them.

If I'd tried Ardbeg Blasda or Galileo before any of the others I could have easily made the mistake of assuming I wouldn't like anything from them.

Bruichladdich is another brand that I've yet to try - need to change that soon.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 AM

Bruichladdich makes at least one good whisky (the one I tried!) However, they make SO many whiskies, I hesitate to get too involved with them, for fear the specific expression will be discontinued once I buy it and I'll never be able to find it again.

As for the Aberlour lineup, let me help you out...

Aberlour 12 is very similar to Balvenie Doublewood 12yr.

Aberlour 16 is very similar to Glenlivet 16 Nadurra, or maybe even a little bit like Glenfarclas 15/17.

Aberlour 18 is very similar to Macallan 18. So close, in fact, that I would dare say you couldn't tell them apart in a blind taste test.

Aberlour A'Bunadh is very similar to Macallan Cask Strength. I used to prefer Mac CS, but now I think A'Bunadh is better (depending, of course, on the specific batch). If I were out of A'Bunadh (perish the thought!), nor did I have any Mac CS on hand, I would probably buy whichever was cheaper (maybe $5, one way or the other).

If someone didn't like A'Bunadh, I would still recommend they try the 12/16/18. They are VERY different than the over-proofed sherry bomb that is A'Bunadh.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Aberlour 12 is very similar to Balvenie Doublewood 12yr.
I understand where you are coming from here. I picked up a bottle of Aberlour 12 a couple months ago for $40 total on special. It's drinkable neat but rather boring. I mix what I have left with Ardbeg 10 and enjoy the combination when I desire a change from many days of Ardie 10 in a row.

Balvenie DW 12, although soft and delicate, never ceases to amaze me. When it goes on special I just automatically buy 2 or 3 regardless of how many I have in my storage room.

Similar? ...OK. Very similar? ... no way.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:45 PM

JWISE

Have you tried the Aberluor 12 Non-chill filtered? It is about $50. I am thinking about that and the 18 for my stash.

Picked up a couple glendronach bottles, cannot wait to try them. I am also giving Lag another shot after a less impressive last bottle.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Bruichladdich makes at least one good whisky (the one I tried!) However, they make SO many whiskies, I hesitate to get too involved with them, for fear the specific expression will be discontinued once I buy it and I'll never be able to find it again.
I tried both Bruichladdich Laddie and Bunnahabhain 12 tonight and I'm going to find both of them on my own shelf eventually. Both very nice, gentle, with some easy smoke in there.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Balvenie DW 12, although soft and delicate, never ceases to amaze me. When it goes on special I just automatically buy 2 or 3 regardless of how many I have in my storage room.
I shared some of my Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain with a couple tonight and they liked them both, so I got them a taste of Ardbeg 10 and Corryvreckan - they both immediately fell in love with the 10.

Then I suggested the Balvenie DoubleWood for something far removed from the Ardbeg, but irreplaceable as well and last time I saw them they had one of each in a shopping bag!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Love the bottles, very last-century, too bad I'm not found of A'bunadh.

May pull the trigger on the 18 single malt, though. Are there any similarities at all between the A'bunadh and the 18yr?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:36 AM

All the core expressions from Aberlour are sherry-finished. That is the end of their similarities.

18yr is very delicate, subtle, somewhat complex, but mostly a very smooth sherry-finished whisky.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
JWISE

Have you tried the Aberluor 12 Non-chill filtered? It is about $50. I am thinking about that and the 18 for my stash.

Picked up a couple glendronach bottles, cannot wait to try them. I am also giving Lag another shot after a less impressive last bottle.
I have not tried the non-sherried Aberlour 12yr.

I love Glendronach. I have finished off 15 and 12 year expressions.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:48 AM

Aberlours aren't sherry finished, they are double casked; a vatting of both bourbon and sherry casks and a bottling of the product. So the 12yo contains whisky that has spent at least 12 years in bourbon casks and whisky that has spend at least 12 years in Olorosso butts. The whisky isn't vatted and recasked into sherry butts for a finishing process.

...appart from the A'bunadh, which is 100% sherry.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 AM

My apologies. I was not being precise in my choice of words.