ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Bourbons, Canadian, Tennessee, Collectibles and more...

Old 11-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Unregistered

Default What happened to Mackinlay

I am unable to obtain my favorite blended Scotch, Mackinlay. Did the distillery go out of business? If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Default Mackinlay

Might still be affiliated with Whyte & Mackay. We have contacts there - let me see what I can find out.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

I'm hearing Mackinlay has been discontinued and therefore no longer being produced. Unfortunately I don't have any other details at this time....Sorry for the bad news....
Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Here's an update on some older bottles:

"Old whisky can be found in some pretty amazing places.
I've heard of it stashed in the walls of houses, buried under
ground, and discovered in shipwrecks under the ocean.
But the trove left by Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton
might be the most unusual. Shackelton and his crew left
two cases of Scotch whisky stashed under the floorboard
of a small wooden shack at Cape Royds.

The whisky was discovered by conservators in January 2006.
They were unable to get the crates out but will be trying
again in January during the Antarctic summer. It's not known
what shape the bottles of Charles Mackinlay & Co. whisky will
be in after one hundred years of freeze and thaw. The crates
and bottles will remain in Antarctica unless they need to be
taken off the continent for conservation reasons."

More at Unearthing Shackleton's Whisky

and Whisky on (Antarctic) ice

Last edited by silverfish; 11-08-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: corrected link
Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Mackinlay and Co were acquired by Whyte & Mackay, who consequently now own the Mackinlay label, and who continue to produce it.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Unregistered

Default amarach

I understand that mackinlay whiskey is blended from 3 whiskeys does antone know who or what they are? Karl
Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand that mackinlay whiskey is blended from 3 whiskeys does antone know who or what they are? Karl
Mackinlay, like any other blended scotch whisky is a blend of 25 to 30 whiskies. If there were only 3 whiskies, consistency could not be maintained. Also, like every other blended whisky, the master distiller would never list the specific whiskies used in the blend – it would be like giving away the family secret!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

Default mackinlays scotch whisky

greetings, i have just received a stature of a scottish man sitting on a rosk with the name mackinlays scotch whiskey written at the bottom. it looks like it was made out of resin as it is cracked and very old.

where will i find information on this piece?

regards,

wayne
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Unregistered

Default Mackinlay's Old Scotch Whiskey for Collectors

Hi,

I have a bottle of Mackinlay's Old Scotch Whiskey, which was bought by my grandfather in 1971... The bottle is full, unopened, and in great conditions.

This bottle is very rare, you may find an example of it through this link:
http://www.euvs.org/en/collection/sp...-scotch-whisky

Even EUVS has a worse conditioned example of this bottle of scotch... I am planning to sell it through an auction, however I am not sure how to valuate this scotch.

In e-bay a similar whiskey, Macallan (And Macallan is even now produced) which has a date 1950 is sold for 1500 £. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/whiskey-wh...ht_3573wt_1139)

Is there anyone whom can help me about this rare old scotch?

My e-mail is; omercan47@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,
Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Macallan has a huge collectors market and is an iconic single malt whisky. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near vintage Macallan pricing on an old Blend. If you got 10% that would probably be good. You never know. Good luck.
I'd drink it.

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
"Chill out, it's just a whisky forum."
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Default MacKinlay's

Thought you guys might like this:
http://www.whiskyboys.com/2011/05/03...scotch-whisky/
Old 01-15-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
I'm hearing Mackinlay has been discontinued and therefore no longer being produced. Unfortunately I don't have any other details at this time....Sorry for the bad news....
Hello, I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how old my whiskey is, and the approximate value ..

I am happy to send photos, but I will need an email address, not sure how to post on here.. the bottle is a huge one 6 pints 13 1/3 FL.oz and has a wire "bottle Stand" very much the same as the one here in this photo
http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/...s-whiskey.html

the label reads Mackinlays's old scotch whisky bottled in Scotland, it has a crest with what appears to be a reindeer on it, it also has a signature that looks like chas mackinlay & co, but the Chas is hard to read.. on the back there is another label that reads Distilled and bottled in Scotland under British Government supervision

Thankyou
Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM
ClubWhisky.com Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceprincess View Post
Hello, I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how old my whiskey is, and the approximate value ..

I am happy to send photos, but I will need an email address, not sure how to post on here.. the bottle is a huge one 6 pints 13 1/3 FL.oz and has a wire "bottle Stand" very much the same as the one here in this photo
http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2009/...s-whiskey.html

the label reads Mackinlays's old scotch whisky bottled in Scotland, it has a crest with what appears to be a reindeer on it, it also has a signature that looks like chas mackinlay & co, but the Chas is hard to read.. on the back there is another label that reads Distilled and bottled in Scotland under British Government supervision

Thankyou
We will see if it's possible to date your bottle, however, we always need photos posted here along with your question. Since you are now a registered Whisky.com Member, you're able to upload photos as well as post freely. Let us know if you need help. If we are not successful in having your bottle dated, then we suggest you contact www.mctears.com or www.bonhams.com - they should be able to date it as well as give an idea of value.

Last edited by Jojo; 01-17-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 PM

Default Re Mackinlay

Although not related to where you could obtain Mackinlay, I just wanted to say my mum was Donald Mackinlay's secretary in the 1950's and she told me some fabulous tales of he time there.
Quite possibly her stories from her time there may be one of the reason's I have a love for the dram.