ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Whisky Blends

Old 02-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Default Favorite Whiskey Blend for Mixed Drinks

What's your favorite whiskey blend for a mix drink? Every time I see an old fashion recipe it calls for a blended whiskey.

I'm also looking for a very smooth/understated blended whiskey for a bitters taste tasting I'm doing on my blog.

I'd love your recommendations because most of my experience has been in straight bourbon and single malts. Honestly, I feel like I'm missing out a little.

Blended Spanish wines are some of the best deals I've come across; Can the same be true for Whiskey? Never really thought about it till I came across this forum.

Thank you Everybody
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Tough/unique question. I still asking around and looking into it.

Please feel free to chime in if something comes to mind.

Just looking for smooth and understated.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

I keep a bottle of good old Chivas Regal on hand for mixed drinks. For those who can appreciate it, I also have Suntory Hibiki. It's very smooth, very light and balanced. Very Japanese. It would be a great blend for you if you're looking for something light and flavorful and not smokey. It's excellent on it's own.
Of course there are other good ones for drinking neat, try Ballantine's 17 year old and Johnnie Walker Gold. Very nice.
Many people prefer to drink a single malt rather than pay for a premium blend, but they're missing out. If you want to splurge, go for a bottle of Dewars Signature.

AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
十人十色
"Chill out, it's just a whisky forum."
Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Great Reply Brian,

I've been wanting to review a Japanese whiskey anyways, and I already know I like Johnnie Walker Gold.

I've done the research already for the bitters tasting, have bought 6 bitter and am ready to start. I think I'll do tonic water first and then whiskey + filtered water a day later.