ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 AM

Default Old Single Malt gift Question

Ladies and gentlemen,
I am a novice scotch lover but have grown akin to glenmorangie lasanta 12 yr and balvenie 12yr. My brother is far more advanced and was the first to introduce me to scotch.

Anyway I know that notes and flavors can change (sometimes for the worst) but quite possibly for the best with old unopened bottles of scotch. Now unless I am advised otherwise, I would love to find some single malt scotch tied to a historical year or event if possible. For example can I find a balvenie 12 yr single malt scotch bottled in 1941? Or something bottled in 1914 or 1918?

Now if it's not worth it I won't. In short is this a foolish endeavor? Where would I find something like this? I can't imagine it is too pricey but really at the end of the day I would like to try an old bottle.

Thank you for the help!
Regards
Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM

I think you'll need to set your dates a little lower and come into the 1970's or later as single malts really didn't start to be bottled in any volume until the late 1970's.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 AM

Unless you are very wealthy Scotch from years back becomes highly collectable and expensive . Thing is they don't really taste any better than current offerings as it doesn't age like wine due to the high alcohol content so unless you plan to invest and collect that's not the route to go .

Best to read some of the discussions on here or ask some questions about what you may like and I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice from members on here .

Scotch is an interesting and never ending journey with a new one beginning at the opening of one you have not tasted before.....enjoy !

BTW , my oldest son is a Lt. in the Army (CDN)

Tags
reserve, vintage