ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 AM

Question 1st post: Ardbeg 10 yo vs Uigeadail?

Hi guys,first time that I post to a whisky forum by the way.

If somebody would have told me a couple of months ago that I'd be posting on a whisky forum, I would have thought that they were nuts!

On a whim about six weeks ago, I decided to try whisky for a change. Not knowing what to buy, I ended up with a bottle of GlenLivet 12 and was surprisingly delighted with it.

Then I got into reading a bunch of whisky reviews and lurking on various forums. I also got hooked on watching the many Ralfy videos on YouTube, I'm now hooked, what can I say.

I've already amassed quite a few decent enough whiskys in these last six weeks, although I've only got four bottles opened up at the moment.

There's still a bit of the GlenLivet 12 left over along with a Bowmore 12, Aberlour A'bunadh (batch 36) and a Macallan Cask Strength.

I live in New Brunswick Canada where liquor is taxed to death. But I've taken notes of the prices and compared them with our neighbours next door in Nova Scotia. Some bottles are cheaper here and some are cheaper there.

I was over there visiting family this weekend and picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 yo for $78.00 which happens to be $7.00 cheaper then N.B.

Here's my question:
The Ardbeg 10 yo is a lot cheaper then the Uigeadail, and there's not that much of a difference is ABV. In N.B. the Ardbeg 10 yo is $85.00 and the Uigeadail id a whopping $140.00!!! ($117.00 in NS if you can find it in stock that is).

I don't think that the extra 8% difference in ABV between these 2 Ardbegs accounts for such a price difference between the two. Am I missing something here?

Is the Uigeadail made with older whisky or is there some other reason for such a large price difference?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:15 AM

Uigedail is sherry-finished, and therefore has a roundness that is superb. Lagavulin's Distiller's Edition is very similar, but much more expensive.

It is my favorite Islay, as the sherry-finish really enhances the dram, for me. If you know you don't like sherry-finished whiskies, then perhaps it is not worth the extra expense.

I can get Uigedail for around $65 US, which is a good value.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post
I was over there visiting family this weekend and picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 yo for $78.00 which happens to be $7.00 cheaper then N.B.

Here's my question:
The Ardbeg 10 yo is a lot cheaper then the Uigeadail, and there's not that much of a difference is ABV. In N.B. the Ardbeg 10 yo is $85.00 and the Uigeadail id a whopping $140.00!!! ($117.00 in NS if you can find it in stock that is).

I don't think that the extra 8% difference in ABV between these 2 Ardbegs accounts for such a price difference between the two. Am I missing something here?

Is the Uigeadail made with older whisky or is there some other reason for such a large price difference?
Until recently Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail were necessities for me, but upon discovery of Corryvreckan I've dropped Uigeadail, although I still like it very much.

For $78, and in Canada, the Ardbeg 10 is a great buy, but if you've got to go over $100 you may as well be shopping for a bottle of Corryvreckan instead.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
You are right to assume that a higher alcohol content (not watered down) usually means a whisky is more expensive but that is not always the case.

Other factors play a role as well. How old is the whisky? How many bottles are there? What is the demand? How much marketing is involved? Does the whisky have a finish (needed another oak barrel for aging).

In the case of Ardbeg Uigeadail several of these come into play. The Uigeadail is harder to find than the 10. In my area most liquor stores do not even carry it. As jwise stated, Uigeadail is also sherry finished. So the distillery had to empty one barrel and fill another. This creates more labor, monitoring, and more cost. Finally, Uigeadail is said to be made of slightly older whisky although do not know this from the label. The higher A/C content means they can get less bottles per barrel. I am not going to do the math but if Uigeadail was watered down to have 8% less alcohol it could mean many more bottles filled per barrel. I will guess 50.

On the other hand, Uigeadail could have 3yr old whisky in it. As someone who enjoys Uigeadail that possibility does not bother me. If it tastes better, and the cost is justified, sit back and enjoy!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islay Peat View Post
but upon discovery of Corryvreckan I've dropped Uigeadail, although I still like it very much.
^ this^
price is also a factor, if I can get a good buy on the Ug I'll grab it in a heartbeat.
The Ardie 10 is my house whisky due to it's price and quality combination. The Ug is much tastier and fuller bodied. I often start with the 10, then have a dram of the Ug.

Last edited by BoxcarBill; 10-14-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 AM

Thumbs up

Hey guys, thanks for your input!

Like I indicated previously, I'm a total rookie here and just trying to get up to speed in this wild world of whisky.

I don't doubt that the Uigeadail is a fantastic dram but unfortunately it's a bit too rich for my blood right now. I mean, $140.00 a bottle, ouch! I might go as far as paying the $117.00 price in Nova Scotia but it seems that it isn't a regularly stocked item and is only brought in for their "festival".

At least they do stock the Uigeadail here in my area and with any luck, they might have it on sale at some point. I'm always in there checking for the occasional sales. The other Ardbegs apart from the 10 year old and the Uigeadail aren't even available here in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. So those are off the radar.

I haven't even opened the Ardbeg 10 yo yet, I'm guessing that I'll enjoy it better then the Bowmore 12 that I purchased about a month ago. The Bowmore was on sale at the time and was about half the price of the Ardbeg 10 yo so I jumped on it.

It's all about trying out as many different whiskys as possible at this point, it's pretty overwhelming when you see the amount of choices out there. Lots of education ahead for me................but it's fun!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Ardbeg 10, Ug, & Corry are peat monsters. Much more peat than the Bowmore 12.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

In addition to Bill's post, the Bowmore and Ardbeg really do best individually and are not really comparable. If you're in the mood for the one, you're probably not at all in the mood for the other, and vice versa of course.

I like all of the above.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 PM

I dont think its been fully covered so far, but you originally asked what justifies the price of the Oogie compared to the 10 and if it were older, well here you go;

[entering geek mode]

the 10 year old is no less than 10 years old. It's pretty much the same batch to batch and is the standard (read: entry) Ardbeg.

the Oogie is NAS (No Age) based on the fact there is some youthful spirit on the mix. It is a mixture of normal bourbon cask aged Ardbeg and much older sherry cask (Olorosso) aged Ardbeg. The mix is (or was originally) 35-45% sherry cask and the rest bourbon cask. The sherry cask and boubon cask whisky is matured independanly and then when it's right its re-racked (mixed together in a vat and put into different barrels as 1 mix) into sherry casks so that the mix can marry together.

It is NOT sherry cask finished. The sherry component is fully matured in sherry casks and in the original and early releases it was around 25 years old. Due to stock issues the age of the whisky from sherry casks is now lower but the % of the mix is around the same.

So much more work goes into Oogie compared to the 10, and the older whisky in the mix bumps up the price. Sherry casks (good ones) as also 10 times more expensive than bourbon casks for the distillery to buy so the whisky that is in them is much more "valuable" in terms of assets.

NB: the marrying casks that Oogie is re-racked into as were also used to mature Ardbeg Day, and as it had be seasoned with sherry and Oogie it made the Day so mmmm, mmmmm!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the detailed info!

I'll eventually have to get myself a bottle of the Uigeadail, sounds pretty interesting indeed. Too bad that it's a whopping 65% more then the standard 10 year old.

But I guess that since it's something that would last me awhile, it's not that bad, maybe works out to $5.50 per 30ml dram or something. Aaaahh, I think that I'm just trying to talk myself into buying a bottle.

The other day I walked into one of our Gov't run liquor stores ( the government has a total monopoly on liquor sales in Canada), and spotted the Uigeadails at $85.00 but then I noticed that they had simply put the bottles in the wrong place. Doh!!!

Funny, they seem to have priced the 10 year reasonably at $85.00 but went nuts with the Uigeadail's $140.00 price. There's a 65% spread between the two here.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:13 AM

Too bad you can't sneak some over the border.
I bought 4 bots of Ardie 10 last month for $50/each total (no sales tax in Oregon).
Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 AM

$50.00 a bottle for the 10 year old is a pretty sweet price indeed!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
$50.00 a bottle for the 10 year old is a pretty sweet price indeed!
Not to make you feel bad but it gets even better:
http://i.imgur.com/l8reN58.png

Even with the NJ 7% tax it's still a good deal. I bought 3 bottles here last May. The place is 3 miles from where my daughter lives but it's 2,500 miles from where I am now.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 PM

There you go, boy do we ever get hosed on liquor prices here in Canada.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 PM
ClubWhisky.com Moderator

Quote:
There you go, boy do we ever get hosed on liquor prices here in Canada.
In general the best prices are in Japan and the worst in Canada, although I did see a few good prices there.

Ardbeg 10 for $85 is much less than I saw it for in Canada personally and I've]4 found it for close to $100 in the states before. If I was there I'd be for buyingi it at that price.