ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky  

Go Back   ClubWhisky.com Forum - Questions About Whisky > All About Whisky! > Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 AM

Default Finishing Your Own Whisky

Anybody here ever try and put a finish all a whisky. I have a 1ltr Oak Barrel and I have it filled with sherry. I plan to fill it with a scotch and let it sit for a few wks/months and see if i can give it a good sherry finish. I been aging a Rye Whisky for about 8wks now in another barrel and its coming along great but a little nervous about trying a scotch, so curious if any has tried it before and if so, what were the results.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 PM

I have tried it by putting charred wood sticks right inside the bottle. It was a very educational experience. Some of the notes can be found here http://www.whiskyhead.com/whisky-aging-results.htm
Old 05-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the link. Pretty intresting to know the whisky keep changes as it settles down in the bottle. I took the sherry out of the bottle last night after 3 weeks and the barrel smells great, so tonight I am gonna filled it with a Balaviene 15yr single barrel. Since I am not trying to age the whisky and just trying to add my a sherry finish, i don't think it will take long and only need to be in the barrel a month or so but we see.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 PM

I don't have a blog or anything but will post results in this thread if no on minds.

I started off with a New 1ltr White Oak Barrel/Medium Char. I filled it with Spanish Sherry for 3 weeks,then I emptied the sherry out and let the inside liquid dry out over night and them I filled it with 15yr Single Barrel Balvenie. I plan to taste once a week and see how the whisky soaks in the leftover sherry that the barrel took it, It might be alot or a little, I really have no idea. This my first attempt and a little bit nervous but hoping for the best.

Took a pic of the whisky in daylight for true color.

and one of the Sherry for reference

I will post a update in week to see if anything changed at all.

Last edited by Ratman; 05-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:57 AM

are you not pleased with the Balvenie 15?
Old 05-03-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarBill View Post
are you not pleased with the Balvenie 15?
Oh no. I love it and bought a few bottles. I went back and forth on what whisky to try. It was between this and Berry's Mortlach 17yr cask strength. I ended up going with Balvenie cause of their DW bottlings and figured that is would be a good choice as my first attempt. i am guessing since that the DW is a good whisky that the base of the 15yr would take a sherry finish pretty well but Balvenie use a deferent sherry cask(don't know which really), so this will still be a little different then the 13 or 17 DW but still should be good.

I am just have fun and trying something new

Last edited by Ratman; 05-03-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:06 AM

Having fun is where it's at.
The Balvenie 15 yr here is $101 after tax. A bit scarey on the price for me.
Good luck on the endeavor.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Having fun is where it's at.
The Balvenie 15 yr here is $101 after tax. A bit scarey on the price for me.
Good luck on the endeavor.
101$ yikes. Its was only 65$ here at Total Wine. I bought 3 and figure i could spare 1 to my curiousity.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 AM

for that price I could get 3 as well.
where are you located?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
for that price I could get 3 as well.
where are you located?
ABQ,New Mexico. We don't get alot of stuff out here but Total Wine moved into town last spring and have brought in a little more but everything goes quick cause of their lower prices.